Let's talk 3D printers!

Hope you've had a good weekend of 3d printering! Here my SV07 Plus is assembled, up and running so I thought I'd check in on similarities and differences.

First of all, I can only agree on their QA not being top notch; as it turned out I had a piece of black tape on the inside of the gantry screw holes too - baffled me for a while, then I recalled your mentioning it and looked more closely, and there it was (as you say, not easy to spot - I like to think I would have seen mine eventually, but thanks to your heads up I'm sure I caught it sooner :man_bowing:). I only had the 1 leveling knob fall of in transit (so, hurrah?), although I did also need to refit the smaller blue knob that sits on the front of the filament head. Similar challenges working out where to fit the ribbon cable too (finished up YouTubing that one) - it's bizarre that they have several diagrams showing you the specifics of how to put a screw in a hole, but none at all on where that cable should be run.

All of that said, the printer is now up and running and several little thingies have been produced. It does seem to be inclined to catch the top of Benchies with the nozzle when doing the roof, knocking it loose from the bed (and even pulling the PC Sheet loose when I tried using that), but early days - hopefully more fiddling will put things right!

Dang!

1 Like

@ian3

I have calibrated mine many times as i have gotten use to how it all works. One more thing I have found is to make sure you have plenty of room behind the printer as if you don't and you have a print that goes to use the front most part of the print bead the stiff bed power cord can prevent the bed from backing up fully. I am working on printing the replacement fan housing for the 120mm Fan mode. The darn thing is really loud with the small fan it has now.

I got a some new rolls of filament already. I couldn't find for the life of me how to make sure the printer used the right temps until this morning. It was my slicer that was sending the temps so no matter what i did on the printer it would never stick. what is everyone using for a slicer. As of now I am using Sovol3d's Cura version which seems ok, but it clearly could use some polish.

The new rolls of filament also highlighted that Sovol didn't send my complete order. I was suppose to get a 1k roll as well and only got the 200g role that comes with the printer. Hopefuly they will make it right.

I am not sure how experienced you are with these things, but I have found allot of Sovol SV07 specific help from "gerGo Print 3D" on youtube. He seems to be reasonably knowledgeable, and his video's have helped me with obvious issues with the Sovol SV07.

1 Like
1 Like

Prusaslicer for most things, Orca for calibrations.

That is common.

Printers and other items can ship from multiple locations.

I ordered hardened nozzles when i bought my SV06 Plus. Printer shipped from British Columbia, nozzles came from China.

I've used almost every FOSS Slicer now and have found I like Orca Slicer the best. The UI threw me for a loop at first, as I was used to the PS/SS style, but this video from Michael helped me move across.

SuperSlicer, it works on my printer so...
Trying out others is on my list.
As well as Klipper, but I'm too busy printing. :wink:

1 Like

That's something I'll be careful of; at the moment the printer's on the big dining room table (more space for assembly and initial pokings), but to keep the WAF of my new toy utility device high I'll be relocating it to a much smaller table in my office soon.

I have very limited "book" knowledge of 3d printing, but only started gaining actual experience 3 days back (for example while I'd come across "slicers" I hadn't appreciated how core they were, and had assumed you could simply download a .stl file and send it directly to the printer as-is :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:). Once the penny dropped on that one I also downloaded the Sovol Cura for a quick win, but appreciate all the suggestions others have made on this thread. Will give the gerGo videos a look, too - ta!

I have some filament pre-bagged, and now a few more ordered - will be giving PLA+ a try, and see how that compares to the basic stuff.

Essentially it prints at a higher temp (eg 200-220c) and allows you to print faster. It’s also slightly stronger IME.

1 Like

Spot on. Sovol support responded this morning and it is exactly this. They sent me some tracking info for some very random carrier that shows it got to the post office yesterday. Looks like i will be getting another spool layer today.

That was my (entirely abstract) understanding; looking forward to actually having some and getting a literal feel for how different it is in practice! (Also appreciate that unlike bog standard "PLA" there's no such thing as "standard PLA+"!)

1 Like

All good, I knew you meant PLA / PLA+.

Exactly - struggling with the many new TLAs! :grin:

Edit: Have changed LPA --> PLA above, to make it look like I know what I'm talking about. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

3D printing is definitely an ARE*! :rofl:

*Acronym Rich Environment

1 Like

I recently replaced the TMC2226’s (enhanced 2209) on my X and Y axis with drivers better suited to my overkill LDO 42STH48-2504AH 2.5A Stepper Motors. The Drivers are TMC5160T Pro V1.0's and good for up to 3 Amps RMS per phase.

Today I finally got around to running Input Shaper, and my god do these things rock when coupled to the LDO 42STH48-2504AH’s! I’ve never seen numbers above 6k for ZV before, and IS is saying I can run up to 10k on X and 19.5k on Y! :scream:

I'm just printing a Califlower to ensure I'm still getting dimensionally accurate prints before I print some router jigs out for a fellow Aussie.

If you haven't bought this calibration system yet, go do it, it's the best $11 you'll ever spend on your printer!

3 Likes

Califlower is worth the $6 CDN I paid for it.

I should have tuned my rotational distance on my extruder first before printing, but I've got like 45 spools of filament, so I'm not lacking in supplies :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t recall if $11 is Australian micro pesos. But it’s definitely worth the money.

You don’t really need to calibrate for every filament, just major filament types eg PLA, PETG, ASA etc.

Everything you ever wanted to know about all the Filament types!

FWIW, I use PLA+ and ASA for most things. I only use PETG for clear light pipes and TPU for flexible / rubbery items like feet for my printer and gaskets.

2 Likes

For the X1C owners who want to run community firmware:

Watching it now. Good video so far....

...But I want to punch that dumb eye monitor right off his head. lol It looks SO STUPID.

1 Like