Led light strip suggestion

I'm looking at led light strip's to sit on top of my window sills in the living room. Don't need to have affects really, nor even individually addressable leds, mainly control the colour and brightness. 5m long is my aim. Hubitat needs to control on and off, without an extra plug pack. However dimming is good to have in rules. Colour change can be in its own app.

I know this has been discussed. But looking at these solutions, I find the cost of the power supply is making some options less desirable than first thought.

I'm looking at the following potentials but after some feedback or further suggestions.

Ws2811 led strip's controlled by an esp32/esp8266. Not sure what to flash them with yet... Tasmota.. Wled.. Most versatile. Need to factor in power supply cost so not as cheap as first appears. But 12V supplies are at least reasonable.

Ws2812b and esp. Again similar to above but power supplies that suit in Australia are very expensive with suitable amps...

I have done an esp based led strip before so I won't get much joy from making something new.. So I'm not looking forward to the efforts to make it all look nice.

The above options, but with a control box. Maybe a zigbee option? Less work... But costs go up.

Or a tapo based strip that has everything plug and play. This is what I am leaning towards. Less led density and don't believe as bright or as versatile seeing I'm locked into their ecosystem. But loads less work and leaning towards something like this. Includes power supply in costs. I get costs are reduced due to lower led density and lower power however.

Aqara option. Looked good at first, has hubitat integration as of late.. But the T1 strip's are short so quite expensive.

Hue is too expensive.

Ok so I see this thread as well. Doesn't really make my decision.. But I guess I may not need a new thread necessarily. Feel free to offer suggestions based on my application, or I could continue discussions in this thread....

There is a community driver for the Tapo strip (below) and a community driver for the Kasa strips. Similar functionality. Disclaimer: I am the author of both drivers.)

'[RELEASE] TP-LINK TAPO Plug, Switch, Bulb, Hub and Robovac Integration

1 Like

I actually have both installed for energy monitoring plugs only so thanks, originally just the kasa one until Australia took on tapo in stores instead so have both :grin:

@djgutheinz do you feel the 930 are worth the extra cost over the 920? I don't use homekit (except when needed for home assistant integration)... From a compatibility point of view. I'm leaning towards the 930 for future proof.

I believe the 930 have white Leda as well but Im not sure I'll use them dependent on how close a warm white the 920 can get.. I dont expect you to have used both

The only thing the 930 really offers over the 920 is the White control. The 930 is advantageous if you want pure color temperature implementation .. (PS - My driver set does not currently support color temperature since the original strips did not. Future upgrade is likely when I can get one cheap.)