Leak Sensors saved my A$$ today

You're almost as paranoid as I am. :slight_smile:
I might have already mentioned this, but I have a WaterCop classic with about 8 sensors and 12 points of sensing (some have dual contacts) that I added z-wave notification for and another new 12 Utilitech z-wave sensors I added after I got the hub.

Because the sensors for both have a real quiet beep, I tape a sensor contact to a standalone water alarm (got it at Home Depot-forgot the name), which emits a very loud beep.

I'm going to pursue turning the water off at night and doing the softener regen at another time. The Culligan man told me that it doesn't matter if the water is used while regen-ing-it just bypasses.

Just make sure your water heater agrees with this.

Leak sensor surely saved by A$$ today

Started the dishwasher, sat down with a cold craft brew and I heard the nerve wracking "oh crap, water detected at the dishwasher announcement

Pulled the lower toe kick and sure enough, the bottom of the dishwasher is leaking but I'm here to say, less then 1/4 cup of water had leaked out when I was notified.

Leak sensors are just like insurance, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Get them installed today, some day you might come to appreciate them, like I have now for the 4th time...

3 Likes

I think you just need to share below with her...then no sneaking will be required. My watercop shutoff valve and leak sensors are some of the very few purchases I've made w/my wife cheering me on. Helped that she's been home alone for the two previous leak events we've had (water heater and clothes washer), and realizes that early notification is really, really important!

1 Like

I've been re-thinking turning off the water during the night.
When we leave the house, we turn off the water with a watercop switch. If we actually were to go somewhere, the automation would over-rule that and turn on the water during the day. I don't do modes, yet.

I may have said this before: I don't know if all water sensors are weak beepers, but mine are. I've taken to taping the sensor to a local water alarm you can buy at Home Depot. They have a big sound.

:point_up: Years ago my parents attic HVAC flooded and caused over $10k of damage to their house. That prompted me to invest in them and I have them under every sink, toilet, washer, fridge, attic HVAC pan, etc. Previous owner of my house had washer line burst and it flooded the house. Just a few weeks ago my uncle’s “burst proof” hot water line on his washer started leaking and flooded his downstairs. Had loud equipment blowing for days in his home right at holidays.

Advice to anyone reading this... invest money in water sensors and put them everywhere in your home. The $100 you spend on sensors can save you $1000s.

1 Like

Excellent advice. I have leak sensors by each water heater (I have two 50 gal heaters in my attic), beneath the washer, beneath/behind the fridge, beneath the dishwasher, behind every toilet, and below all the sinks. And a zigbee water valve that is tested each week using an automation.

1 Like

In my case the sensors don't report battery condition, far as I can tell. They work, and they're supposed to beep when the battery is low. I'd say test a couple now and then as well, for a whole system test.