Leak Sensor Recommendations?

In my testing, they were very responsive. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2 Likes

Note I have a HE driver for Linkind at Hubitat-CSS/linkind-leak-sensor.groovy at main ยท csstup/Hubitat-CSS ยท GitHub. It works well for me.

4 Likes

I've had a Homeseer and a Fibaro for over 2 years with no issues. The Homeseer has a remote pickup which is in my A/C overflow pan. The Fibaro is on a tile floor.

I have some ZooZ and Aqara water sensors as well. However I've only had the Zooz for a few months and the Aqara for about a year. Still no issues. Some folks have trouble with the Aqara so I wouldn't recommend anyone jump in with a lot of them on the initial purchase.

that's cool, trying it now thanks - have you thought about adding to the HPM?

edit: any advantages over the generic version?

2 Likes

Most of mine are the SmartThings sensors that are no longer available under that name/price.

Recent purchases have been these. Not very stylish looking, but I'm not crawling behind the toilets often enough to prioritize that as an issue.

Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series XS Water Leak Sensor ZSE42 - The Smartest House

Negative. I didn't feel like it was "ready" for HPM yet as it still needs the ability to set the battery checkin times and clean up some of the debug logging. I need to circle back around and do some cleanup first. Its on my TODO list!

I think the only difference is that my driver reports both the battery voltage and percentage from the device itself and are saved as sep attributes. The built in driver I believe only receives the voltage and converts to percentage, and stores that. That may not be true any more, and no idea which is "better", I just was curious what the device would report for percentage and over time compare to how AAA's tend to discharge at various temperatures.

3 Likes

I love my unicorns. 2 dome leak sensors(that I originally hated) have an incredible battery life, and will occasionally miss a day or 2 for checking in, but always work when tested.
Also the Fibaro Z-wave + sensors(GIGANTIC) but are very reliable and report temp and acceleration, and function as a repater if mains powered.

1 Like

Ah right, I think I remember you mentioning this on a different thread. Did not mean to pressure you or anything!

Thanks for contributing.. it's one of the things that makes this platform great.

2 Likes

I have 8 original Aeon Labs sensors that still work great. They're about 8-9 years old and plain old z-wave.

One of the reasons I like the dome and the neo cool cam's (same design) is the extension... Turns out @danabw found out it works with a stereo extension. My use case for the the extension is for my water softener. Throw it on top of the salt. When it gets into the brine, it goes off and notifies me that I need to add salt... Also good for sumps and what have you

2 Likes

It does appear that the Linkind have a number of fans here w/long-term experience, which is the kind of info that puts them into the "good choice" category, and makes the "good price" part of it even more attractive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have 14 of the Fibaro Flood Sensors throughout my house. They have had very good battery life and worked flawlessly so far. They even register as a tamper device also. I use this latter functionality to notify me if any of them have been moved. So I can go check that they are still located where I want them sensing.

Lesson learned though...If your going to place them on unfinished concrete, put down a folded paper towel and set the sensor on the paper towel. I have found that my garage concrete floor was conductive and tripped these sensors.

1 Like

I never would have thought that. I have some in my basement (one on each water heater) and haven't had them tripped.

Same, I have three in my garage on cement that haven't tripped...must be less humid surface for some reason.

1 Like

The 4 pack of the Linkind is $44, which works out to $11 each. This is a bargain.

They work well so far -- and use 2xAAA batteries, so the battery life should be good (mine have only been installed 4 months).

2 Likes

The humidity will eventually reach the sensor with a paper towel. I use a disposable drink cup lid with edges cut off and many holes(away from the probes) punched in the lid. It keeps the sensor off the humid concrete, but any water easily sets off the sensor

1 Like

Do you see a white power on the concrete? Its probably efflorescence. I have spots in my basement that have this. My guess is some water or opening under that spot. In my garage water from the vehicles cause the white to appear. My guess the salts are in the concrete and the water brings them to the surface. Or some chemical reaction I don't understand.

Efflorescence in concrete is a whitish colored powdered deposition of salts on the concrete surface

1 Like

The remote sensors will work with any wire. Stereo speaker wire, doorbell wire, telephone wire, Zip cord etc.

Just be careful if you run the wire too long a distance (I don't know how long too long is) it will start to pick up AC voltage from the house wiring.

You could even make a "distributed" sensor by taking zip cord (aka lamp cord) and removing the insulation for about an inch at various locations of the wire. Could be 6" apart or what even you think you need.
Lay the wire on the ground. The insulation will keep the wires about 1/16" off the floor and if any of the bare section gets wet the alarm will sound.
Be careful the wire doesn't float.

2 Likes

Do a concrete etch on a dry day, then use epoxy primer...(2-3 coats)

1 Like

OR place a quarter (or similar) under the water sensor to keep it a fraction of an inch above the concrete.