Leak Sensor Recommendations?

Looking for a leak sensor specifically with an external probe (yeah, I know I could tack that on to any leak or contact sensor, but would prefer ready to go). I prefer Zigbee over ZWave, but not a showstopper.

The old Dome sensors with external probe donā€™t seem to be around even on eBay.

Maybe the Tuya Zigbee Leak Sensor ? I have no experience with these but you can check out some of these threads..

https://community.hubitat.com/search?q=Tuya%20Leak%20Sensor

I have a couple of these Tuyas w/the cable, and they seem to be working fine, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Yikes! I'm assuming these are not on Amazon and best ordered from AliExpress. But I'm seeing several different ones that are Zigbee. Some rectangular, some round. Some that take 2xAAA and some that take 2xAA. Could you tell me which of these are the ones you seem to have success with?

I think the rectangular ones are the ones with the external sensor but hopefully @danabw can confirm..

1 Like

The one you see in the first post in this thread is what I have:

I ordered mine from WalMart. Was supposed to be a three-pack of that sensor, but I got two and then a third different sensor w/no cable. I complained and WalMart refunded me so I ended up happy. :slight_smile:

I even extended the cable on one in my attic so I could run the sensor waaaay into my attic to reach a steam shower generator unit, and allow me to keep the base unit right by the attic access so battery changes are easy. Used this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FQS6B8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3 Likes

They're actually available on Walmart.com . I have 6 of them and they work very very well. They work as a standard puck or with the extension probe.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEO-Tuya-ZigBee-Smart-Home-Water-Leak-Sensor-Wireless-Flooding-Detector-Leakage-Detection-Alert-Level-Overflow-Alarm-Life-App-Remote-Control-Works-Wi/888434671

2 Likes

OK, I went ahead and ordered one through Walmart.com. Possibly a different seller than you used (this one didn't have good reviews, but we'll see). The NEO Tuya ZigBee Smart Home Water Leak Sensor Wireless Flooding Detector looks very much like the Dome one.

There were many other Tuya Zigbee sensors under different brands, different shapes, different batteries on AliExpress in the $7 - $10 range, but I didn't want to take a chance on one that hasn't already been shown to work with HE, and also potentially with a much shorter non-detachable cable for the probe.

2 Likes

I know, one of the reasons I got them. @kkossev wrote the driver for these. Install the driver from HPM. If when you pair it doesn't automatically choose the driver, post the fingerprint to @kkossev and he can add it to the driver.

Ask @kkossev about most Tuya devices. He has a lot of experience with them and could probably answer questions about them better than anyone. He really is a good guy to work with. :slight_smile: A very valuable asset to this community.

3 Likes

Just noticed the seller's name is yiwushitianhaichanglimaoyiyouxiangongsi.

What could go wrong? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty sure that's just his nickname. :wink:

3 Likes

Rolls right off the tongue :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Thanks...that was an actual LOL for me. :rofl:

I was doing my usual ā€œsearch Hubitat forums for recommendationsā€ and found this threadā€¦figured Iā€™d drop an FYI that the Linkind 4-pack is again $39.99 on Amazon for Black Friday.

The ThirdReality sensors are on sale also for $16 eachā€¦most of their stuff is right now. Iā€™m grabbing one of those for the claimed-louder (120db vs 90db) alarm for one spot.

4 Likes

But wait; there's more :grin: There's also a 20% off coupon bringing the price down to $31.99. That's $7.99 per leak sensor which is pretty tough to beat. I've had 12 of these in service since May and love them. They use 2 AAA batteries and all are still reporting 100% battery life.

5 Likes

Damn they didnā€™t have that coupon when I ordered and posted. :rofl:

Hate when that happens but you can always cancel and reorder.

1 Like

I ordered 4 more just the other day at $39.99. And 4 MORE at $31.99 today. Woo!

You can never have too many leak sensors...

3 Likes

Well, can't argue with 4 for $31.99 and I love the AAA battery aspect. Can use these for those hard-to-reach nether regions in my crawl space.

There are many positive data points in this thread, so not worried but curious if there is a reason why this particular sensor is not on the compatibility list while five other Linkind products are.

On a side note, I've given up on Zooz ZSE42 leak sensors. They are eating batteries like crazy even with very conservative reporting parameters set. I looked into upgrading the firmware on them to see if that would help, but my hub is C-4 which makes upgrading nontrivial.

I already have 4 of these and I really do like them. At $32 for 4 more, I just bought another bunch. I might retire my 3 FIbaro flood sensors.

1 Like