Leak Sensor Recommendations?

One of the reasons I like the dome and the neo cool cam's (same design) is the extension... Turns out @danabw found out it works with a stereo extension. My use case for the the extension is for my water softener. Throw it on top of the salt. When it gets into the brine, it goes off and notifies me that I need to add salt... Also good for sumps and what have you

2 Likes

It does appear that the Linkind have a number of fans here w/long-term experience, which is the kind of info that puts them into the "good choice" category, and makes the "good price" part of it even more attractive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have 14 of the Fibaro Flood Sensors throughout my house. They have had very good battery life and worked flawlessly so far. They even register as a tamper device also. I use this latter functionality to notify me if any of them have been moved. So I can go check that they are still located where I want them sensing.

Lesson learned though...If your going to place them on unfinished concrete, put down a folded paper towel and set the sensor on the paper towel. I have found that my garage concrete floor was conductive and tripped these sensors.

1 Like

I never would have thought that. I have some in my basement (one on each water heater) and haven't had them tripped.

Same, I have three in my garage on cement that haven't tripped...must be less humid surface for some reason.

1 Like

The 4 pack of the Linkind is $44, which works out to $11 each. This is a bargain.

They work well so far -- and use 2xAAA batteries, so the battery life should be good (mine have only been installed 4 months).

2 Likes

The humidity will eventually reach the sensor with a paper towel. I use a disposable drink cup lid with edges cut off and many holes(away from the probes) punched in the lid. It keeps the sensor off the humid concrete, but any water easily sets off the sensor

1 Like

Do you see a white power on the concrete? Its probably efflorescence. I have spots in my basement that have this. My guess is some water or opening under that spot. In my garage water from the vehicles cause the white to appear. My guess the salts are in the concrete and the water brings them to the surface. Or some chemical reaction I don't understand.

Efflorescence in concrete is a whitish colored powdered deposition of salts on the concrete surface

1 Like

The remote sensors will work with any wire. Stereo speaker wire, doorbell wire, telephone wire, Zip cord etc.

Just be careful if you run the wire too long a distance (I don't know how long too long is) it will start to pick up AC voltage from the house wiring.

You could even make a "distributed" sensor by taking zip cord (aka lamp cord) and removing the insulation for about an inch at various locations of the wire. Could be 6" apart or what even you think you need.
Lay the wire on the ground. The insulation will keep the wires about 1/16" off the floor and if any of the bare section gets wet the alarm will sound.
Be careful the wire doesn't float.

2 Likes

Do a concrete etch on a dry day, then use epoxy primer...(2-3 coats)

1 Like

OR place a quarter (or similar) under the water sensor to keep it a fraction of an inch above the concrete.

Maybe but I like my floors sealed :slight_smile:

I would as well, however I couldn't do it when I moved in......now too much stuff to move to do the floor.

You can do it it sections if you don't mind moving stuff around. I did that in my old place. A bit of a pain but worked fine.

If you have them joined to HE, I would tend to agree. Mine are joined to HA and then imported back to HE. This is a super solid setup for Aqara and Mijia devices, so I have no concerns, but (and although I never personally had this issue with Aqara leak sensors specifically) Xiaomi in general can be highly irregular with the Silicon Labs Zigbee radio built into HE.

The component shortage has also skewed the prices on Xiaomi devices. Used to be a bargain. My two Xiaomi leak sensors were around $12 CAD each, but now $25 CAD is the best price I can find. So they've become much less attractive, not having any features other than detection, temp and battery. The Linkind look very nice. All the same features of the very expensive Leaksmart sensors, except for temperature.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really like that the SmartThings and Centralite also report temperature, as that saves me having to add another device in some of the locations where I use the leak sensors. Just have to adjust a bit since they are on the floor...

1 Like

@mike.maxwell the Linkind Leak Sensor defaults to a Generic Zigbee contact sensor when the device is added. Any chance you can add this as a Generic Zigbee moisture sensor? Here's the fingerprint info:

ID: 0064
Manufacturer: LK
Product Name:
Model Number: A001082
deviceTypeId: 483
manufacturer : LK
idAsInt : 1
inClusters : 0000,0001,0003,0020,0500,0B05
endpointId : 01
profileId : 0104
application : 02
outClusters : 0019
initialized : true
model : A001082
stage : 4

1 Like

Pair it with the live log open and then paste that with the fingerprint

2 Likes

My Amazon order arrived yesterday afternoon and I just got around to setting them up now. This appears to be a really nice moisture sensor. It's approx 2" square and 3/4" tall with 2 pairs of brass contacts on the bottom. The only negative so far is that out of the box, 2 of the 8 sensors are reporting 6% battery. The remaining 6 report 100% battery. I'm not all that surprised since these don't include a plastic battery pull strip so the device is already powered when sitting it's cardboard packaging. Other than that, pairing them was straight forward and all passed the damp paper towel test.

1 Like

I was done setting them up when I saw your reply. Good tip--I didn't know that was a thing.

1 Like