Latest firmware bricked C4, No device page. Blue light

Unplug power for a minute or 2 and power back up and wait about 5 mins and see what you get.

I got nothing, sadly. I mean it comes on but just same result as when I powered it down for 30 seconds.

Sorry to hear that :grimacing: - I have most definitely been there.

Yeah really dreading the idea of having to do a whole new hub again, I've been trying basically everything I've read on all the threads for the last three weeks and nothing works. Sadly have a ST hub that I guess I'll go back to at this point. Don't really feel confident that buying another hubitat just won't brick again after an update with no way to restore or access diagnostic..... also despise SS but it's in my cabinet already so guess that's the move.

It is very rare for a hub to brick, and I think blaming the firmware updates is a bit misplaced. I think the C4 is getting to the age where the flash memory is getting written to so many times, that it has worn out. That nand flash has limited read/write cycles, and at some point it will cease to work. It is no different than a solid state hard drive (SSHD) in a computer, those fail suddenly too. The computer SSHD of a certain era are quite prone to failures.

There are a few accounts on this forum of the C4 suddenly failing. It could have happened at any point in time, but it was coincidence that it completely failed on this particular boot cycle. Would you feel better about it if it worked for two days before, or two days after the update?

If you perform local backups on every firmware like it prompts you to, you can restore to a new hub. You will just have to do a pairing with Zigbee to pop them back in place, you don't lose anything there. Apps, rules, and so on get imported from the backup, so that portion is very quick and easy. Z-wave gets a little more complex, but if you do a Swap Device from that same named app, you don't have to lose anything in your apps or rules. Drivers and App code imports with the backup too.

It might take a day to pair everything again and do a few device swaps, but you shouldn't have lost everything to where you are starting over. I upgraded from a C5 to C7 a year or so ago by doing the import a backup method (not the Hub Protect service), and it all was relatively smooth, for the most part. It did take a whole weekend, but I worked slow, did a bunch of cleanups of old code, waited for the hub to stabilize and re-learn routes after doing pairings, and so on. Actual work time was really only maybe 4 hours.

2 Likes

I can't dispute it wasn't something else, you're correct. Tech fails, for a variety of reasons. The fact that it happened immediately after the update, as well as other users reporting the same issue sure provides the appearance to be update related. But I'm willing to concede I would anticipate more users reporting the issue, unless there are just so few still on the C4 or if those folks moved to a different platform.

To your second point, yeah I've got back ups. It's the whole adding devices back that, isn't something I look forward to, being that the majority are Z-wave devices. It does, as you note present the opportunity for sanitizing my network.... which I was in need of anyway. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.