Large Zigbee Network - ST Migrant Needs Help

Hello, How do i get large numbers of zigbee lights to turn on and off without creating groups to zigbee group message an entire floor's lights? Are there settings that are baked into smart things that don't happen on Hubitat?

I'm coming over from ST where i never had any issues except when the internet went out, and i couldn't group lights, so they were all addressed individually. I have a bunch of zigbee lights and need help getting them to respond when more than one is toggled.

I have grouped all of my bulbs for each room and used 60ms metering with zigbee group messaging turned on. When i ask for entire rooms to turn off with siri through homebridge, there's always at least two lights that stay on.

Are my repeater outlets not fully compatible with Hubitat?

I have:
104 Sengled Lights
3 Hue Gu10s
2 Hue Strips
7 Ikea Outlets
14 Centralite Outlets

1 Like

Based on details you've shared, you have an excellent ratio of end devices/routers. With 4 non-repeaters for each mains powered device, you shouldn't have any problems with your mesh. However, we have had reports of Hue devices, which run Zigbee Light Link protocol causing problems when they are used as repeaters for devices running Zigbee Home Automation protocol. Also, have you confirmed in Logs that homebridge integration is actually sending the command to the bulbs?

Are your Hue strips connected directly to Hubitat or do they integrate through the Hue bridge?

Although Hue lighting devices can be used directly with Hubitat, they do not always play nicely with your Zigbee mesh. I have several Hue bulbs, but they are on a Hue bridge, so they do not affect my Zigbee mesh.

If your Hue lights are connected directly to Hubitat, disconnect them and let your Zigbee mesh reconfigure itself. Then run some tests to see if things now work as you expect. If that is the case, you can either purchase a Hue bridge and move the lights to the bridge, or replace your Hue lights with devices that work better with standard Zigbee HA. Since the Hue GU10 lights are rather expensive, the Hue bridge is the most economical option. The bridge lists for $59.99, but can sometimes be found for less. Hue Smart Bridge V2 is compatible with Apple Homekit and supports up to 50 devices.

Thanks for the help! I got a refurbished hue bridge and now all the lights play nicely.

My next step is to figure out how to keep the Sengled drivers awesome dim on and off function while using zigbee group messaging. Now my hue cabinet lights fade in and out nicely, but the kitchen overhead lights pop on and off harshly.

Use Cocohue for control from HE. It will allow more granular tweaking

Does cocohue support hue motion sensors? I just tried adding some outdoor sensors directly to hubitat and I’m back to the unstable zigbee network I described above.

I thought that battery powered hue devices wouldn’t mess with the network but maybe I’m wrong

Yes, you can import motion sensors with CoCoHue (but without a v2 Bridge and the new eventstream/push option enabled in the CoCoHue app, they won't be nearly as usable, so I'd recommend that!).

1 Like

Holy quick response Batman! Thanks I’ll give it a try!

1 Like

Best overall is keep sensors attached to hubitat and bulbs attached to the hue. That said, Sengled bulbs are fine connected to hubitat as they do not repeat. This is good and bad. It is good because you can mix them in with ZHA based zigbee devices (sensor and what not) without worrying about ZHA routing through them. The bad is they need additional repeaters to strengthen the mesh. In my case I keep anything non bulb related on HE. The few zigbee bulbs I have are on HUE and the rest of my bulbs are Lifx...

1 Like

While Hue bulbs can be connected directly to Hubitat, the bulbs are designed to work best with ZLL. Hubitat uses ZHA. Because they are designed for ZLL, they are not paticularly good at repeating ZHA signals. That is likely what is messing with your zigbee mesh. If you put your Zigbee bulbs on a Hue bridge and then connect to Hubitat, it will keep both meshes more stable.

If you have any Hue sensors, they can be paired either to the Hue bridge or Hubitat. However, I strongly recommend that you pair them with Hubitat. That way they can be used to trigger notifications and activate other devices. If you pair them with the Hue bridge, they only work with Hue devices. I have a number of Hue motion sensors that I am using to trigger Lutron light dimmers and switches. They work quite well in that configuration.

Thanks! I moved my hue bulbs off of the Hubitat and to a hue hub with some of the earlier advice I got. The network was stable for a couple of weeks (I can’t scroll up to the dates I got the advice while I am typing)

I added 2 hue outdoor sensors and a button to the Hubitat and 1 day later I had unresponsive lights again. I changed no other settings.

So now I have:
-on the Hubitat
104 Sengled Lights
7 Ikea Outlets
14 Centralite Outlets
1 hue push button
2 hue outdoor sensors

-hue hub
3 strips
3 gu10 bulbs

I have no idea how well the Singled devices work with the Centralite devices as I have never used Singled devices.

I had a couple of Centralite outlets and a couple of older Smartthings outlets that were working well as repeaters until I tried adding an Aqara sensor to my mesh. Then everything started going wonky as the Aqara devices are not fully Zigbee compliant. I replaced the older outlets/repeaters with some with eWeLink Zigbee 3.0 technology and all is well, including the Aqara devices. The ikea Tradfri devices also work well as repeaters according to reports from others; I do not have any of the Ikea devices.

Hopefully, everything will work fine the way you now have them. If not, try unplugging the Centralite outlets and see if that helps.

Is there a 3.0 repeater that’s known to work well with most things? If I’m going to take the centralities out of the equation I’d like to replace them just the once

there really isn't such a thing, from the routers perspective they don't care what the application protocol is (alertMe, ZHA1.2 or Zigbee 3.0).
Also the Centralite outlets are known good repeaters for devices that are Zigbee certified.

With so many Sengled bulbs (104??? Holy hell) you will definitely need some repeaters

1 Like

Or redistribute the ones he has. Most of my repeaters are within 20 ft of the hub in any direction and that seems to work the best.

The Centralite outlets are ZHA 1.2 devices. They work well as long as you do not have non-standard zigbee devices like Xiaomi/Aqara devices in the mix.

I have found that eWeLink technology outlets are Zigbee 3.0 certified. They work well as repeaters for standard Zigbee devices, but also non-standard Aqara. Plus, they are inexpensive at $9 each.

Here are the ones I have, but there are a number of plugs with similar design. eWeLink provides the technology, but others manufacture the devices. These are only 10 amp, so do not use them for controlling appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P89M8P9/

This is my grand experiment to put the whole house on circadian lighting. It’s had a positive effect in my household, when it works.

If anybody is learning from this thread, I moved my IKEA repeaters and everything seemed to stabilize.

I had to use zigbee group messaging for the bulb groups, so I lost the fade in and out with the sengled bulbs. Still trying to figure that one out