Large room motion/presence sensor

Looking for a solution for a Open floor plan kitchen/living room. The two rooms form a large rectangle with the living area on the left side, and kitchen on the right side. Looking for a solution to automate the lights. I had attempted the aqara presence sensor but gave up when noticed i needed a hub also, wasnt worth the effort with all the spoty reports on it. Do you guys have any other ideas? Currently my best idea is to get a few more philips hue sensors and place them in a way they only face the kitchen area/living area but seems like a poor solution.

Several people here have success with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Linptech-Presence-Occupancy-Automation-Compatible/dp/B0C7C6L66J/ref=sr_1_6

It has 6 meter sensing range.

2 Likes

Awesome i ordered one, will give it a shot but im def open to more suggestions.

See @kkossev driver thread : [RELEASE] Linptech/Moes 24Ghz Presence Sensor ES1 ( TS0225 _TZ3218_awarhusb ) drivers
For info on proper driver options.

2 Likes
1 Like

When you say you tried the Aqara Motion sensor - curious which one…?

I have a few of the FP1 and they work great directly with Hubitat.

I also have 4 FP2 that I use with Hubitat, but through Apple HomeKit. They are great in situations where multiple zones are required.

1 Like

Are those MM sensors adjustable? I bought a motion light for a closet with one built in and the light would come on with movement on the other side of the wall. It worked way too good and I had to replace it.

I bought the FP2. Honestly never gave it a shot. After paying the $80 for it then realizing i was going to need to buy another $60 hub to use it i said to hell with it. I love the features of it and would pull the trigger if all reviews were positive but aqara seems very 50/50 on if it will work or not for people.

Any way to set up zones on it by chance or just gotta position it well?

No zones with MOES/Linptech. Coverage area is quite large and ability to recognize minor movement like breathing is very good,

Hum not sure that this will work then for this area, however will be great for a few other areas of my home if it works well. This would possibly work for the kitchen but if it has a 180 degree field of view don’t think there’s anywhere I can install it that will not pick up movements in other areas outside the room

We have a similar kitchen /living room configuration. Because of the way we use it I'm not sure any combination of occupancy sensing and modes or time of day really will work as we move about and change activities. The solution for us are a few simple automations in the morning and a couple of Inovelli switches functioning as button controllers and/or Alexa to activate scenes; Cooking, dining, evening. My wife likes Alexa which is the world's best multi-event cooking timer and I''m good with tapping a button. We have picos for lamps on a living room table between the two chairs we typically sit in in the evening and one on the breakfast table.

my linptech sensor arrived today... only played with for like 10 min but so far it seems awesome! just hoping it doesnt throw up to many false positives... and the ability to limit the distance from the sensor is a huge plus.

Biggest part of false positive for me was sensing motion from the back of the device...it was sensing activity on the other side of the wall it was mounted to. I put a small piece of aluminum on the other side of the wall in the other room and that solved it. For my motion lighting I use at least two sensors in each automation. I always pair a standard motion sensor w/the Linptech - the standard sensor gives me faster response time, and the Linptech handles it when the person(s) in the room are sitting still. W/two sensors you can also require motion at both to initiate the automation to help avoid false positives, and/or require both sensors are inactive to avoid turning off lights when someone is present only one sensor is active.

4 Likes