Landscape Lighting

I am planning to add landscape lights to my gardens and I am thinking that I can use something like the Zooz relays to control individual areas (patio and deck, say). Landscape transformers typically have a clock and photocell but those control the entire unit.

My current thinking is that I should mount a fairly large outdoor junction box to hold the relays and their power supplies, then simply route the wires through the box and on out to wherever.

I suspect that it is a pretty good bet that more than one person in this community had set up something like this. So I am wondering whether I can solicit any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Mike M

Yes I use the Zooz multi relays to have different zones for my landscape lights. They work great. I have a crawlspace so I mounted them all in there. If I didn’t have a crawlspace I would probably do what you said with an outdoor enclosure.

See this thread for the wiring

@wmmah Or you can just buy zigbee garden lights. Several ways to skin a cat so to speak. (Cat's as garden lights don't work well). Innr makes some nice garden lights, Gledopto makes some nice ones too. I have a couple of floods in the front bushes.

1 Like

The Zooz's are pretty flexible on their power requirements too. I think you could power it direct with the 24vac from the landscape xfmr. Plus, the ZEN16 has 3 relays and the ZEN17 has 2 relays, so if you had 3 zones, you could get away with one 16.

You could take advantage of some of their features, like maybe, have them go to "off" in the aftermath of a power outage.

I am a tad embarrassed.

I am pretty sure that I had read the thread you cited. It seems that I forgot the thread but not the idea of using Zooz relays.

I live in the country with a large garden and a long driveway. So a large transformer with multiple taps combined with the relays seeems like the most practical approach.

Thanks -

Mike M.

1 Like