Lack of updates?

Got it thanks

If you want updates, you should consider joining the beta.. Lots of fun stuff in the new one.

1 Like

As my mother once told me, "Don't borrow trouble." The current Hubitat firmware release is stable. Stable is good. I never quite understand people's fascination with change. I don't even like it when we change mayonnaise or paper towel brands.

6 Likes

As far as Hubitat betas go, those stable changes are still there. Mostly betas are new features added. Also easy enough to restore to the old version if you don't like the beta. To be honest though, I don't think I've ever had a beta break anything existing that I have.

1 Like

I'm wondering if the Sinope tank monitoring driver was fixed.
I guess I'd have to join up to find out. I think I was kicked out the last time, so there's that. :slight_smile:

You can apply but 2 simple rules. Don't discuss it outside of the beta channels and simply report your findings. Don't debate. ( not saying you would do either just talking in general)

1 Like

I think I complained about stuff not working, or something like that.
It had been after a period of non-involvement in the forums, and all of a sudden, stuff stopped working. I didn't even realize I was running a beta, since I always update when available.
I might give it another whirl.
What the heck.

Everyone deserves a second chance, go in with good intentions and a willingness to solve problems and you should be alright.

3 Likes

Significant is a subjective term. It all depends on what features you use/want. For my use cases, I would say "no" based on what I've seen so far, but for others they would say "yes". Some of that may depend on your involvement in Apple's ecosystem (see homekit beta, etc).

Only "major" feature I want is ZWave LR support, while it is in the queue I think it is behind a few other features they are working on. So I'll just need to be patient or do 'something else' for LR.

4 Likes

Probably me being naĂŻve, but I keep thinking that adding LR support should be low-hanging fruit; doesn't it pretty much depend on flashing a z-wave firmware update from SiLabs? Wouldn't the changes in routing be handled directly at the level of the radio? Are there any differences at the interface level in device pairing?

1 Like

In case you are still reading.... :wink:. Don't take some of us piling on as any kind of mob mentality.... We can be both porocial and pedantic when it comes to how the platform is perceived and how it moves along. Given your inclination for improvement I would like to think this won't be a problem in the long run, but wouldn't want you to feel isolated in any way. We all want to see the platform thrive like you do, we just may differ on how or how quickly, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the ride together.

4 Likes

I'm kinda of anxious about the next update too -but only because they were coming fast and furious for a while, so I got into the habit of checking almost daily since I have FOMO about not staying current :blush:

But truthfully I think its better to maintain a more regular cadence. When I used to manage software releases we would do monthly patches (which were only bug fixes or something deemed business critical) and quarterly releases. No body asked for my opinion but that would be my recommendation :smiley:

I've thought about joining the beta program a few times but I am only using 1 hub and it's connected to just about everything in the house, so I would say it's my production environment.

Well… since you asked:
I identified a bug last year and, since then, several other users have added their own requests to correct the basic Template functionality. Latest thread is Template Issue [BUG REPORT] : “Shade” v. “Shades” mismatch prevents user customization

I realize that adding new features provides “bright shiny things”, and that’s essential to draw new users… but speaking for those of us represented in the referenced thread, please fix this longstanding, well-characterized issue that is holding us back from creating Dashboards as we desire.

Thanks for reading

Stick with Dukes Mayonnaise and nobody gets hurt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I chose HE over HA: The never ending breaking changes.

6 Likes

I don’t think I ever saw him in community, was he here? I do wish there was more of the original style you tube shows. The how to videos are great and necessary, but I like the shows that gave a glimpse into what they were working on.

3 Likes

I see your point about valuing stability, and I agree that it's one of the strong suits of both HE and HA. The beauty of these platforms is that they offer the choice to update or not, depending on your comfort level and needs.

Your perspective seems to suggest that a lack of updates equates to stability, which is fine for you. However, for me, updates often signify ongoing innovation and improvement. So, it's not about "borrowing trouble," but rather about looking forward to new features and enhancements.

I'm glad to hear that work is ongoing with Hubitat, as that was my original question. It's reassuring to know that the team is still active and presumably working on future updates.

2 Likes

I appreciate the clarification about Pete's role. Even if he wasn't the community face of the company, his departure could still be significant in other ways, especially if he was a key player in marketing or other aspects.

My original question was not intended to stir up any controversy or hostility. It's a bit surprising to see some responses essentially saying, "Be grateful for the lack of updates." Especially when, it's been pointed out, that there are mentions of bugs that need addressing in this very thread.

What I've gathered so far is:

1. Hubitat seems to be doing alright. They have an upcoming release and a beta program, which I'm considering joining—though only on a secondary hub to keep the peace at home!

2. According to community sentiment, Pete's departure doesn't seem to be a cause for concern. Obviously, the employees at Hubitat truly know if that is correct or not.

If anyone took offense to my questions or comments, that was never my intention. I was merely seeking information.

As for the differing opinions on the value of updates, it's clear that one size doesn't fit all, and that's okay.

4 Likes

Sorry, but this entire thread has been off base. As pointed out earlier, Release 2.3.6 is in beta now. Nothing has changed in the pace of development. Release 2.3.5 saw an entirely new hub introduced, and dealt with some unanticipated Zigbee issues arising from a new Zigbee chip. These have been resolved. It's been just over 2 months since we closed 2.3.5, and this is pretty much a normal pace for us. We have a lot of work going on, and you won't always see what that is, as we don't talk about futures.

We don't comment on personnel matters, but this is misplaced speculation.

All of this having been said, it's time to close this topic, as it is not contributive.

13 Likes