Kwikset Z-wave lock with Hubitat

Hi,

Just got my new C-8, and haveing some questions.

1. I have Kwikset 916 Z-wave plus lock, but when adding the device, the interface only shows 916 as in zigbee (which, I failed to connect after multiple tries), I ended up choosing 910/912/914 z-wave as the lock, and was able to add to Hubitat.

2. After adding to Hubitat, Hubitat shows the lock as "Schlage FE599/BE369 Lock" (weird as it is a different brand and model), in the type field, there is no Kwikset option to choose from.

3. Deleting code requires to type the "code position", but if I use "get code" to get all codes, while I can see each code position, the code themselves are all marked as "????". So without knowing the which code is at which position, how can I choose which position to delete?

Thanks!

Change the type / driver to "Generic Z-Wave Lock"
Save, then run the configure. Should work better after that.

3 Likes

Oh, nice! Thanks!

After you change the driver, be sure to click the configure button!

My Kwikset 916 Zwave works perfectly with my C7 using the "Generic Z Wave Lock" driver

It originally paired as a Schlage and would not behave; per another thread here, I reset the thing to factory settings and changed the driver to the Generic and that solved all the issues. Been perfect for about 1.5 years. Only thing I've needed to do is change the batteries every 6 months.

I actually have concerns on the security of Kwikset 916, as it allows to add a new user code in the lock, without any owner verification. So technically, a random guy can come to your home, distract you, and then quickly add a new code into your lock in 10 seconds (well, I just mean technically).

I had Schlage z-wave lock before, and it requires to type a master code, before adding any new user code, which makes me feel safe.

Enable the mastercode: How do I enable/delete the mastercode on my Smartcode? | Kwikset

It also appears to add a code you have to have the door open with battery cover off to press the program button, even with the master code feature disabled.

I would be more worried about the key hole, as someone with the right tools could bump/pick that much easier than hacking/programming a smart lock.

Yeah, as I mentioned, there is risk. E.g. if someone wants to purposely break in, they could pretend to be a service man, knock your door, distract you (e.g. get you go back to other rooms to take your ID), while you are away from front door, they could quickly open the battery cover, and add a new code in 10 seconds.

They could later come back to easily open the door using the new code. And for people don't have Hubitat or similar, they probably won't even have a log to check when a new code is added, and when it's used.

I also sometimes have vendors/services company come on-site to repair and do other things, and I usually just remote open the door or give them a temp code, if I am ways. But with this lock, anyone who got in can easily add a new code. (Does Hubitat has the function to send me email/notif, if a new code is added?)

Why don't you just:

Then you cannot add new codes without the mastercode.

Oh, mis-read this one. I didn't know there is mastercode! I will try it out. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I just happened to find it in their docs because I was curious. I do not own one myself so hopefully it will work. I have a combo of Yale, Alfred and Schlage right now, they all have 6-digit master codes that cannot be disabled.

Yeah, thinking about getting Yale Lock 2 Touch without key hole. Felt key hole is another security concern....

We all have our 'thing'(s), but there's -IMHO, obviously- no reason to overthink this. If someone wants into your house that bad, they're going to kick down the door, break a window, go through the garage, etc. They're not going to figure out how to make a fake appointment and then figure out how to program the door lock, etc.

If someone truly is in need of heightened physical security, they won't be shopping for door locks at the local home center.

Has anyone created a driver specifically for Kwikset? I have a Kwikset 910 that my C7 can't control. It is setup as Generic Z-Wave Lock (configure button clicked after changing). Cannot lock or unlock from C7 or C8 that is my master hub with hub mesh running.

Nope, it isn't needed. They work fine with the generic z-wave lock driver.

If your isn't working at all, maybe it did not pair correctly (for instance it can fail when trying to exchange security encryption keys).

I would get the lock and hub close together and try re-pairing it. For my older Kwikset locks, I couldn't get them to pair more than about 3 feet apart - key exchange would fail. Newer Kwikset locks seem to pair better at normal distances though.

Also make sure you pair with security, if they are S2 capable the hub will ask if you want security or not, you have to select security for locks or they wont work (usually refuse to pair).

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Can't remember if security is set.

I factory reset the lock and removed it from my C7 as exclude didn't work. Added lock back to C7. No option for security offered. Changed to generic zwave lock, saved, then clicked configure. I was able to put codes in via Hubitat. I'd manually added codes directly to the lock previously, which was my first error. All seems to work great now, even from my C8 which is my primary hub.

Thanks a ton!!!

It is probably S0 which wonโ€™t ask for security it will just use it. Also check your zwave details page now and see if you have any leftover โ€œghostโ€ nodes. These would be nodes that are not attached to a device usually.

Shows S0 in ZWave Details. There was a ghost. Removed. Thanks for everything.

2 Likes