Kwikset Locks and external power

Has anyone powered their door locks externally? If so how did you run the power? Did you still use batteries for power outages?

So I have not done this for a lock yet but I did use something like the following to power an old Lowes HA watering timer during my ST days. Power worked well, had to drill some holes - sadly the device itself was not really supported so was flaky.

You'd run the wire to the edge or through the door if its hollow I guess. You could use a UPS for power backup.

Also found an instructables thing as well:

1 Like

Huh, looks like devices are finally being made to quell my hatred of batteries.

I wish that everything would take big honkin lithium batteries that I could charge and they'd last months.
Christmas junk I guess I'm talking about mostly...
Only 1 battery powered thing in my house normally and it's mounted where a cable would be ugly... About to buy this thing that I posted above and poke a hole in the wall behind it...
In other news New Jersey man sets house on fire, forum posts void home insurance...

2 Likes

Except the locks require 4 batteries - 6 volts.

Yea. Was just a brief search.

There was some company that was making them and selling directly online (in US at least) but at the time seemed really expensive. Can't find the link at the moment.

expensive..

https://www.batteryeliminatorstore.com/index.php?id_category=4&controller=category

1 Like

Yep that's the one! Not worth it for me anyway.

The camera adapter things I listed worked well for my situation.

1 Like

My co-worker was like, just make it!
Voltage regulation seems dangerous for me to do.
He had some from China that released magic smoke, so I'd rather not try.

Hiding an AC power line to a door lock seems hard.
They need to make a z-wave lock that actuates from the wall into the door.

1 Like

It’s just not feasible to do it cleanly with a door lock. I just buy the high output rechargeable batteries from IKEA and use those for the task. Yes, rechargeable batteries do not report battery level correctly in the locks, so I just figure out an average charge schedule based on our volume of use, and set a repeating calendar reminder to charge them.

1 Like

I only have to replace the batteries in my Kwikset locks every 9-12 months. Then I just pop out the 4 AAs and pop in 4 lithium AAs...

I don't really see rechargeable batteries being easier than that in terms of inconvenience or time to replace. Rechargeable are arguably cheaper long term and maybe more environmentally friendly, but that isn't the discussion.

I dunno - depends on the door. I have a yale lock on my basement side door. Out of the way so won't be too unsightly.. However my battery life due to low usage has been excellent too so hard to justify..

https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-Battery-Placeholder-Cylinder-Dummy/dp/B075W9BPP9/

and this:

If you had a wood door you could route out a channel, embed the wire and use wood filler to fill in the gaps, sand down and repaint.. or you could use a flat cable sleeve or something depends on how crazy/diy you want to get.

It does seem like an interesting project and I do prefer powered devices to battery ones...mmmmm... :grin:

I’d argue that it is part of the discussion. I have not changed the batteries in my new Yale lock either, so I don’t know yet with that lock how long either alkaline or rechargeable batteries last. I have a new set of rechargeable batteries waiting for when I need them.
The OP simply asks

No mention of convenience or environmental either way, so the topic is open for interpretation. Takes a few seconds to unscrew the cover lock on my Yale YRD256, and nothing to flip the cover open on my August lock. Recharge time is about 30 min with my charger. Worth the tiny effort to not add to the overwhelming pollution in this world, plus the look, lower cost and results are worth the effort to me.

1 Like

Standard Lithium do not work well for motor loads and may damage the circuit. Proceed with caution.

Duly noted.

My counter to that is that they work fine, and literally thousands of homes and business use lithium batteries in electronic locks because they last much longer. Lock motors are not high load. Much less peak and average demand than an RC car, for instance.

They are never recommended, though, because of the steep voltage curve as they near depletion.

Schlage has even commented on use of lithium batters officially... Work fine, but will go dead without much/any notice.

Both doors with locks are external steel doors. So not sure how I would run wires as of yet. Appreciate the ideas though.

Question about rechargeable lithium - I see a whole bunch of different mAh. Thoughts on what to invest in?

Rechargeable lithium’s have an even quicker drop off in voltage. I would stay with standard high output NiMH

1 Like

Ok I am so confused (sorry but two days no sleep due to a 4yo princess having a cold)...can you link me an Amazon product you would recommend?

1 Like

I use that exact model in various things (but not in my locks, as previously mentioned :slight_smile: ). They whae been working great for me in controllers/remotes/etc though.