Kwikset Locks 914 & 916

As always, if you haven't already, try hitting configure and wait a minute... Probably won't help, but won't hurt either.

I mean the driver details, not the discovery details.

Sorry..

Do the lock and unlock commands work?
The code fetch didn't complete, and the lock is reporting an unknown state, this may well be the result of a mesh issue.
Do you have any zigbee bulbs other than sengled connected to hubitat?
Do you have any zigbee zigbee smart plugs (repeaters)?

Problem - Bad Card
Replaced card with another. Would not setup properly unless the keypad was plugged in. All is working now. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Using Hubitat C7 with Kwikset 916 Z-Wave Lock, (Generic Z-Wave Lock) and using Lock code manager. Everything worked perfect when first paired then the dashboard stopped working would not lock or unlock the lock. If I manually lock or unlock the lock it reports immediately to the dashboard and when I use the keypad it reports immediately correctly to the dashboard?

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to share my experience on this seemingly relevant thread.

I have 5 Kwikset SmartCode 914 locks and they were rock-solid on SmartThings. I like Hubitat's local processing so I switched. Ever since my locks have been less than reliable. The hub often loses track of state and fails to automatically lock them. This wasn't an issue on ST at all. Now I have to manually check them each night and when I leave like some sort of caveman. :stuck_out_tongue: I was hoping the new C7 hub would improve things, but from the sound of Mike H's post it hasn't.

I'm strongly considering moving at least my locks back to SmartThings. It seems like every platform has its weaknesses unfortunately. Sadly, having a single-platform solution is probably unrealistic.

I'm also considering Home Assistant, but I'm not sure I have another platform-switch in me and I'm sure it'll come with its own flaws.

Had the same issue when switching to Hubitat. I changed mine (2 locks) to Zigbee and they have worked flawless. You can find parted out Kwikset assemblies with Zigbee cards on either Amazon or Ebay fairly reasonable. Otherwise tag Mike Maxwell to assist.

I have one 914 on my front door. Bought it after I left ST. It has worked flawlessly since day one. I also get about 7 months out of the batteries. Just a note however, I have a Zwave repeater within 4 feet of it. Hope this helps

Curtis,

That would be awesome if I could find the requisite parts to convert them to Zigbee. I'd love to give it a shot. Any tips on what keywords to search for? I did a few searches myself and didn't find anything. Do you happen to have a part number or anything that would help me zero in? Thanks for your time and for the suggestion.

Look for:

Kwikset Convert Smart Lock Conversion Kit in Amazon or Ebay. Make sure it is Zigbee. May have to ask the seller.

I too am moving my ST over and my 2 Schlage locks added fine. The Kwikset added initally as a Generic lock but I didn't get any events. I deleted it and every time I re-add it gets found but just sits Initializing on the discovery. It hasn't ever come back as a device. Flawless under ST.
@mike.maxwell

I paired my 914s a few feet from the hub, but they went smoothly each time. Initially they discovered as a Schlage but changing the driver over to the Generic Zwave and hitting Configure made them work without issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I just posted a new problem so that is getting in the way of resolving the Kwiksete lock, Grrrr.

I have 4 Qwikset locks and they do work well- but not perfect. They are ALL zigbee. I tried Zwave and the Zwave ones were TERRIBLE (Schlage). I consider the Kwikset ones a success and am overall happy with them, but the ONE problem I have is they will occasionally get their state screwed up. We're talking very rarely, but it happens. HE will think they are unlocked when they are locked- and vice versa. If I tell them to lock- HE will by God lock them and HE will get that right even if they were technically already locked. To get them back in sync, FYI, my experience is just pull out the battery module and put it back in. ANyone else with this experience please chime in if you have better advice.

If you’re having troubles with the status sync’ing you may want to look at the Reliable Locks app.

I used the app for a little while before I added an additional repeater (Ring Range Extender Gen2) to stablize the mesh.

I have 3 kwikset (1x914 and 2x916). I also have the zwave, zwave plus, and zigbee modules for all 3 of them.

I've never had sync issue with the zigbee modules. I literally can't think of one time it was the wrong status - maybe it happened and I didn't notice (?).

I'm using the zwave plus module in 1 of them for some testing, haven't seen any sync issues with that one either (but it gets less use).