Kwikset Lock 916 Zigbee Issue

So I have a kwickset 916.
When I pair it, it looks like this:

and here is the log:

It is not recognized as a zigbee lock. its a type "Device" so I go into the device settings and change the type to generic zigbee lock, but nothing works and nothing shows up in the logs for the device when I press any of the buttons.

Anyone know whats going on here?

I would do this. Any time you change drivers you need to hit the configure button to ensure reporting and other settings are setup correctly:

• Switch it to generic Zigbee lock, save.
  • Hit configure button.
  • Wait a minute.
  • Hit refresh.
  • Try lock.

tried that still nothing.

I'm thinking something may be defective since this is the only info in the state:

Current States

State Variables

• codeFetchComplete : 0
  • requestedChange : {}

Could try removing it and re-pairing it too.

Do you have any other "known bad" zigbee devices that could be screwing up communication to the lock? Like some repeating light buibs are known to do, for instance?

Or maybe not enough zigbee repeating devices on your mesh? Maybe too weak of a signal at the lock?

I also have two zigbee Kwikset 916s, and can't think of anything special I did to get either to work. But I also have a very strong zigbee mesh, with carefully curated devices on it.

I've not really had issues with my zigbee devices.
Also I am pairing it with it physically touching the hub. Would a faulty zigbee device effect it when its in such close proximity to the hub?
Oddly I have tried it with two 916s and have had the same exact issue.

Did you have to selected generic zigbee lock for your 916s? I wonder if I somehow got two counterfeits.

Probably not. No.

I don't remember if I had to manually select it, or if it did automatically. That is the driver they are currently using, though.

You are sure they are regular zigbee, and not Control4 models, right? You can tell for sure by popping out the communications card and looking at it. If it is red it is Control4 and can't be used with hubitat.

I had a few of the Control4 boards at one point. I forget if they wouldn't pair at all, or would pair but not work. It would pair but not fully work, similar to what you describe. See post below.

are you sure you changed the device type in the device. to generic zigbee lock.. i have had no trouble with my kwiksets after doing that.

My Lightify 4-button switches wouldn't pair properly when I had the Peanut plugs. They wouldn't pair at all when held close to the hub. At the time, I thought they were the problem, but they paired perfectly to an empty hub when I got my second C-5 last December and ditched the Peanuts.

1 Like

So it looks like they are control4 they were advertised as zigbee. I'll see if I can return them.
Or is there a cheap way to get a true zigbee board for these?

Sometimes you can find the zigbee modules on ebay or amazon, sometimes not. Just depends on if anyone is selling them.

Even then they are usually 40-75$/ea.

Or try to find used zigbee locks, buy them and get the modules out of them. I did that on 1 lock I changed modules on, when I found damaged used zigbee lock on ebay.

EDIT: A quick ebay search didn't yield any cheap modules/deals that I could see.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.