Kwikset 916 Zigbee: Faulty Lock?

I've been having issues with the Z-Wave version of the Kwikset 916 Lock where it would become unresponsive after experiencing a "jam" (i.e. if you don't close the door all the way and try to initiate a "lock" command through HE). I just installed the Zigbee version just now by swappng out the interior piece of the lock (kept the latch and exterior keypad the same) and every single "lock" command I send from HE shows that the lock is jammed. It will attempt to lock 3xand make that long beep to indicate that it's jammed. I am testing this with the door wide open so it shouldn't do this.

I've reswapped it back to the Z-Wave version and locking through HE is successful (with the exception of the "jammed" lock issue). Could this be an issue with the Zigbee lock I just received? I assume if it was a misaligned lock then it wouldn’t work for the Z-wave version. I am using the Generic Zigbee Lock driver. I performed the lock handling step after installing the locks.

Remove the plate on the door and the jamb side and try again then report back.

If that was the issue, shouldn’t I be seeing the same behavior on the Z-wave lock, too? It’s not happening on that. This is also happening when the door is wide open so it probably doesn’t have anything to do with the door jamb side.