KeyInCode locks, bigger opportunity

I believe Ezlo has the potential to become a widely-used platform. From a business perspective, it makes sense for Hubitat to offer products that are compatible with their platform, including offering those with open-source firmware.

I think you’re missing the point.

You seem to be approaching this discussion like a business consultant, giving advice (i.e. your opinion) on what Hubitat Inc. should, or should not, be doing to grow their market share, “make millions,” etc.

But there’s a difference between a consultant and a customer.

Consultants are asked, by the company, to do what they do. And they have access to proprietary or confidential information customers do not.

Suggestions from customers can be unsolicited, of course. But customers can only reasonably speak to their own experiences, or a new feature they would like to see because of what it would do for them (the customers), not the company.

Edit: it’s unreasonable for customers to assume they know enough about a specific company and its internal workings to make suggestions that would purportedly benefit the company itself.

4 Likes

@marktheknife I despise the term 'consultant', but you are correct that I'm taking that angle, as I've advised many and helped them make money, so it's in my nature. I'm simply a customer, so I took a deep dive into Hubitat and the industry. That said, why wouldn't Hubitat want input from customers, newbies, etc.? I'm not making demands, just pointing out what I'm seeing.

We're already seeing lots of integrated single-point solutions, like Alexa, Ring, 2Gig, Ezlo and SimpliSafe. I predict that, without facts to back it up, in the next few years we'll see even more. Maybe I'm wrong, but at some point the Hubitat founders are going to want to retire and exit? The reality is that time and competition don't stand still, and either you create a business to pass on to your children, or you create a company to sell for a high price, or you sell to employees who wanted to make a change but didn't because the founders didn't want change, but you aren't walking away with millions via this method.

I firmly support Hubitat and there's nothing wrong with striving for a better version. Right now, Hubitat is a single-point solution and product with limited growth potential, for example, an integration with Simplisafe and Alexa that doesn't come with the same privacy concerns. Instead of making a one-time profit of $50-100, Hubitat could make money off each lock, switch, detector, light, and so on that, we buy, wouldn't you want that for Hubitat?

Let me add this, why isn't Hubitat, at a MINIMUM, have a list of devices that they know with confidence work with Hubitat to sell via Dropship or Affiliate link to a shop that will commission them?

Because it comes with an air of "I know better than you" which is supported by the constant "they should be doing XX" statements.

3 Likes

That’s kind of my point.

Since you’re not a consultant to this particular company, you’re making any number of assumptions, based on a lack of insider information, that could be entirely invalid.

If you personally want to buy devices directly from Hubitat Inc., then by all means leave that feedback here.

But to suggest that they must be doing something wrong, or should be doing something differently, or insisting on receiving an explanation for reality not aligning with your preferences, just doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.