Keenect Lite (Release)

you'll need an else statement. You can have RM call thermostat scheduler in RM. I have never tried it (hmmm, might play with that this weekend...)

OK, I'm moving on from the humidity RM, as it's now cold outside. So, I deleted my RM rule so that there aren't any potential conflicts.

I guess I just want to confirm the basics here: I have KeenectLiteMaster set up and tied into my ecobee4 tstat. I have KeenectLite zones set up where each zone has a virtual tstat, vents, temp sensor. Each zone also has a ThermostatScheduler app with days/times that configure temperature setpoints for each zone.

From my understanding, with setup, I don't need any Rule Machine rules. Is this assumption correct? If so, I'm not sure how to set the preferences on my ecobee4 so that it listens to HE (and the above device/app setup) as to when to turn the furnace's mode on/off.

Seems as if this is true, but that ecobee also thinks it should control it's own mode resulting in ThermostatScheduler setpoints not being reached in all zones (because, I'm guessing the ecobee tstat sensor is over-riding everything).

Do I need to get rid of the ecobee and just get a connected, dumb thermostat? One that will only listen to HE commands? Or can I set the ecobee up to do that? If not, what make/model would anyone suggest?

Thanks.

Ok, thinking a bit more...
I don't think one would want a "dumb" tstat, because if something happened to HE while mode on tstat was IDLE, and it was cold outside, the heat would never turn on.

So, need a way to set the "real" tstat to have a minimum setpoint (like if it's onboard sensor reads the temp as 59ΒΊ, then turn the mode to HEAT). Otherwise, listen and let HE control.

KL will only use the thermostat state for what it does.
If the thermostat is in heating, KL will start controlling the vent off of the temperature sensor you specify and tries to control to the heating setpoint of the virtual thermostat you specify. Cooling it's the same except for using cooling setpoint.
If the thermostat is in idle, KL does nothing.
What I have learned is that keen vents can help balance temperatures across my house, but I have one room that does not get enough heating or cooling from the one register in the room, and it always lags the other rooms. With vents that room just doesn't lag as much as it did without keen vents.

Yeah, changing the thermostat will not help one room that just won't get warm...

Thanks.
I guess I need to go over to the ThermostatScheduler thread to ask the question. Thanks.

I forgot to say, next time, is just pause your email rules, then you don't need to recreate.

This says to me that KL doesn't control the tstat at all. KL just likes to know what the tstat is doing , so KL can control the vents as configured. If this is true, then why, in KLMaster, is there a need to choose the "Main Household Tstat"?

The reason for tracking the main tstat state, is if the air handler isn't running, there is no reason to move the vents and waste vent batteries.

I'm looking to add some custom code to this for a slightly different control strategy. I've read through the code but there are obviously a lot of groovy syntax I do not understand how to interpret yet. @napalmcsr, is it possible to get the variables from the child zones back into the KeenectMaster? I want to control the vents based on what the system is doing as a whole not just individual zones. So I was hoping to put logic in the master to look at the each zones temperature, setpoint and vent size. I would then use an overall target for the max percent of total vent position and use that to set each vents individual position.

Sure, it's possible. You'd put a function into the master, and call that function from the child.

The question is are you changing all the vents when a temperature changes in any zone, just having the zone vent that the current temperature updates in move?

I haven't tackled those questions due to having time in my life to think/work on it.

I would likely be changing all vents since a change in one zone would change the overall open percent resulting in some vents updating to achieve the desired target vent open inΒ² for the home. I have most of the math already worked out I just need to figure out how to write it in groovy code. Im also going to be using an input switch to know the blower kicks on verses relying on just the thermostat clould api to say its running, and an static overpressure switch as a safety.

So you want to have a minimum opening area for all vents, or a fixed opening area? Then proportionally open all vents based on how far away they are from the setpoint and that area.
Correct?

I am using the second one; a fixed area and proportionally opening or closing to achieve that based on their temperature delta.

Hi All,
Just trying to figure out if I can just use CT101 as a main thermostat or I need something with with writable API like Nest or Ecobee - I am trying to stay away from any cloud based products especially fro HVAC
Cheers,

Simdim

I use a Zen thermostat, so as long as the device uses the Hubitat thermostat states, you are fine.

If we are only relying on thermostat states (cooling/heating/idle/fan_only) what parameter are we triggering to start heating/cooling if a zone starts to call? Are we forcing main thermostat to ignore current temperature reading on the thermostat itself? Sorry for the questions, did not have time to inspect KeenectLite code yet ...
Attached is the CT101 parameters screenshot:

The app does not do anything to the thermostat. it uses the thermostat for state of the system.

When the thermostat changes its operating state, the main app informs the zones of the state change. Each Zone will individually control the vents during heating and cooling, depending on how far away from the zone setpoint the zone temperature is. In Fan Only the zone will open to a user defined value.

Thank you. So this means I need to put physical thermostat into the zone that will be calling the most. If the location of thermostat is reading 74 and we are in heating mode with Heat set point at 74, there is no way for zone that is reading 65 at the moment and calling for heat to trigger heating.
Or am I missing something ?

So your thermostat will run the same as normal. when its internal sensor is too cold, the thermostat will turn on the heat, etc.

I only use the thermostat to tell each zone(vent) if we are heating/cooling, to determine how open the vent needs to be. Keenect does not tell the thermostat to do anything.