Just got my hub and a quick question

holiday color change - what a great idea and use that I did not think of. I mean I know they change color but this obvious use did not occur to me. No idea why. TY for the input

oh boy I feel silly now. I realized that the kwikset lock is z-wave NOT zigbee. I was planning on getting more z-wave devices anyway if there is a connection issue with the lock after pairing.
I needed the plugs anyway.
So...any good leads on z-wave repeaters?

You can use switches, I have zooz and they work fine. GE z wave plus work fine too and you can get them at lowes.

thanks that was what Iwas thinking. I started mapping out the house with the types of current switches, what lights they control, etc.

I have Zooz switches too but they are the "toggle" style not the decora "paddle" style.

Keep in mind these switches (toggle or paddle) stay "centered" all the time which can be a bit odd at first. You always press "up" for on and "down" for off which is actually more logical. I think the paddle style fits in better with existing old school switches than the toggles. I ended up replacing every single switch upstairs during our reno to be more consistent and have ultimate control of course... Have already gotten used to the difference..

A lot of the Kwikset models have radios that can be interchanged---I got a nice 914 (I have 4 Kwiksets in that line of products) from a friend without the z-wave radio, so I bought one from eBay to install, so if you preferred Zigbee... that should still be an option. I'm not seeing any online, right now, though...

:slight_smile: In case that helps...

1 Like

I have a Yale YRD256 but swapped out the Z-Wave module for the Zigbee one. Things have been a lot better with pairing and responsiveness.

1 Like

I just swapped my second Kwikset lock from Z-Wave to zigbee this afternoon. I have one more lock to go, but I am still having trouble finding another zigbee module.

if you decide to go this route, make sure you do not get the red colored zigbee module as it is proprietary and will not work with hubitat.

The yellow / gold colored one is the one you want.

3 Likes

hi all
My power supply went on my hub but support helped me resolve that issue.
I set up all my plugs again.
I had thought that adding the tradfri plugs to the amazon echo skill would allow discovery by alexa but it is not working and i am not sure why.
go to amazon echo skill
select devices (all the plugs)
click done
ask alexa to discover devices by voice or app.
Does not find anything.
Any clue what I am doing wrong?
thanks!

Let's go through basics... you have ONLY the "Amazon Echo Skill" installed on your Hub? You have not installed both the Skill and the App, correct?

If you have/do, remove them and start again. Install only the "Amazon Echo Skill" and add a few of your devices.

On the phone/tablet, you've installed the Amazon Alexa app and can see and control your Echo devices?

Go to Devices there in the bottom right corner. Scroll to the very bottom you should see "Your Smart Home Skills" and click that.

You should see the Hubitat Skill. Tap the > and then Settings. You see it says Account Linking --> Linked, correct?

got it!
The video for linking does not include adding the skill. Makes sense I would have to do that, thank you! Added routines for the plugs too

The Amazon Echo Skill app is automatically installed on your Hubitat Hub when you successfully enable the Hubitat Skill in the Alexa App on your phone. You should not need to manually install it. I am wondering just what happened to your hub, other than the power supply failing? Did you receive a new replacement hub? Or did you have to reset your hub? These types of actions will break cloud integrations, like Alexa.

I never installed the hubitat skill on alexa. That was what I failed to do. The alexa skill was installed on the hubitat. All I had to do was rediscover resync all the plugs when I got the new power supply. Everthing else seems ok. Switches hopefully coming today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to report.
Installed 2 GE switches yesterday, Hubitat found them easily as did Alexa. 5 more to install. Likely going to wait until a good sale for the rest. Some good routines going :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to hear of success...

I recently moved 28 ZWave devices from my 'production hub' to what is now my 'upstairs hub' to split my home into two ZWave meshes, one Upstairs, one downstairs. I also added a third radio-less Hub that gets status from both and provides a safe place for the 'risky' app integrations.

All 28 were found easily, as always, the exclude side was sometimes a head shaker.

1 Like

this sounds awesome!

Upstairs, downstairs or Left, right, etc. is being done by at least 3 of us. The split was done to make each as self sufficient as possible. Basically no rules that cross from one to the other. If you start with that goal, you'll probably have better satisfaction, because the tool to connect more than one hub, Link to Hub and Hub Link, isn't able to exchange every possible state/attribute. Link to Hub is running on each "floor's hub" feeding into the 'coordinator' where Dashboard is running. Dimmers, switches, Door and Window contacts, Aeon Multisensor6 becomes an "Omni sensor" and all of it's data makes it across. but just when you thought the sailing was smooth, you find that a Garage Door Opener can only be defined as a Contact. Tilt sensor, basically. Can't open/close it from the Dashboard. :frowning:

Once you get to that point, adding on nearly identical Apps is easy. Homebridge and Alexa are fundamentally the same.. tell some other system what's going on and let it tell Hubitat what to do.

On the other hand, Lutron Integration is amazing. It is installed on both "Floor Hubs" and integrates my Pico's flawlessly. Alexa and Homebridge, and others like them, don't allow for multiple hubs acting as a single home. but that Lutron Integration is excellent.

Radios are our limited resource so having double the radios makes a difference. Maybe the limitation isn't hit so easily with the next version of the Hub, C-5, but for me, this is working out OK, often better than OK.

3 Likes