It is done! Unplugging the "other" hub tonight!

I tried last night using the hub link app to show presence from ST to see if I could use it in Hubitat, but it showed all four as "present" in HE (Wife and I were here, two kids were not, and showed not present in ST), so I don't know how well that will work. Maybe I did something wrong - I didn't try to troubleshoot or anything, just deleted the link...

I’ve found it to be very reliable (as reliable as ST presence can be - although it always worked for my wife and I)

I’ve had ST ‘pushing’ presence to my HE for as long as I’ve had my hubs

1 Like

Never understood the "I have to turn off the old hub" thing. I paid for it. Doesn't cost anything but electricity. I use my ST hub for stuff that HE can't do. And still use WebCore presence sensors (the most reliable and flexible ones I've ever had) and a few other things. Agree with Cobra...take advantage of it while you have it. Who knows... soon there may be a HE app with presence and you won't need it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Retiring a hub is symbolic. It proclaims “I am moving forward!” Kind of like moving all your junk from an old car to a new car when your lease is up.

2 Likes

This literally made me LOL and also think that I never use that junk in the first car...but move it to the new car anyways...

2 Likes

What type of phones? If iPhones, you may want to look at Locative as it is a direct integration between your phone and Hubitat, using the Hubitat Maker API app on your hub.

The same technique can also be used on Android using Tasker to call a webhook based on a geofence. I don't have those details as I am using iOS, but I believe some others have tried it successfully.

1 Like

grrrr, I have one of those too... I took this approach...if I'm paying for the phone I'm doing what I want with it. Keeping tabs on the kids isn't horrible. If she is paying for the phone...good luck :smiley:

In addition to keeping ST around for the cloud integrations it does well, it's useful for providing OTA firmware updates for several Zigbee devices (ST, Osram and Iris). Also, I have ST run an automation to periodically 'poke' a Hubitat virtual switch (via the Other Hub app) and expect a 'poke back' within a certain interval from a Hubitat automation (WebCoRE! I figure if WebCoRE is functional on my Hubitat, all its other automations are probably functional as well). Should that fail, ST should send me a notification that something isn't working as intended. I also use Hubitat to monitor ST in a similar manner.

how ironic right.. using one system to monitor the reliability of the other.

You could even put the Hubitat on a smartplug and have ST reboot it if it goes completely dark. Ohhh the hubmanity...

1 Like

I bet we could build a crazy routine where the 2 hubs just constantly reboot each other and notify us through Apple Home app and Alexa. saying “The hubs are fighting again!”

3 Likes

I sold mine on ebay, got $80 for it..........(In Australia, where until yesterday, the other hub is technically not available).

Can I sell mine in Australia?? :smiley: (kidding)

1 Like

It could cause some degree of interference with the HE hub’s zigbee or z-wave radios. A minor point but one worth considering.

And for some of the cloud-based integrations that ST supports, I believe an active hub isn’t even required, just a hub location (from what I’ve read, can’t say that from personal experience).

I know you can turn one of the radios off. Zwave I believe. I just put mine in a metal rack in the basement. Not much RF leaving there.

Yes some of the cloud based stuff is no hub required.

1 Like

Yeah you can turn off the z-wave radio, but it’ll turn itself back on after hub firmware updates and other similar events. A faraday cage is probably a pretty good bet though.

tinfoil hat for the hub

2 Likes

Yeah, she's paying (only so that I cannot make that claim!)

of course!

1 Like