It is done! Unplugging the "other" hub tonight!

Well, I finally got everything moved. It all is working better than ever. So far, there's only 2 things missing that I had with ST (really only one)

1. Alarm.com integration - I've tried porting the ST app with no luck; hoping I can figure out another way for this -- otherwise, we always seem to forget to set it when we leave.
  2. Native hubitat presence (similiar to ST) - I'm using Life 360 for the wife and I, but my two older kids live with their mother and getting them to install Life 360 is a fight I don't want to have to have with their mother...

But the good news is - everything migrated! Everything working well - faster and LOCAL!

Loving my hubitat!

5 Likes

Give the kids ST presence sensors (they work fine on HE)

Andy

1 Like

Doesnā€™t alarm.com have an ifttt channel?

Andy

No (IFTTT), I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Alarm.com does have geofencing, but it will just give a reminder to set the alarm. I got really used to having ST set it automatically when we left the house.

I hadn't even thought about the ST presence sensors. I think I actually have one... somewhere... I haven't seen it since we moved a year ago.

BTW, Andy - I find myself using a lot of Cobra apps! Appreciate all you do!

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™m glad you find them useful :slight_smile:

One reason to keep the ST hub running is to use it to add to Presence Central.
I use ST phone presence, L360 and ST presence sensors combined into one virtual presence sensor which I then use in my apps

Andy

I tried last night using the hub link app to show presence from ST to see if I could use it in Hubitat, but it showed all four as "present" in HE (Wife and I were here, two kids were not, and showed not present in ST), so I don't know how well that will work. Maybe I did something wrong - I didn't try to troubleshoot or anything, just deleted the link...

Iā€™ve found it to be very reliable (as reliable as ST presence can be - although it always worked for my wife and I)

Iā€™ve had ST ā€˜pushingā€™ presence to my HE for as long as Iā€™ve had my hubs

1 Like

Never understood the "I have to turn off the old hub" thing. I paid for it. Doesn't cost anything but electricity. I use my ST hub for stuff that HE can't do. And still use WebCore presence sensors (the most reliable and flexible ones I've ever had) and a few other things. Agree with Cobra...take advantage of it while you have it. Who knows... soon there may be a HE app with presence and you won't need it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Retiring a hub is symbolic. It proclaims ā€œI am moving forward!ā€ Kind of like moving all your junk from an old car to a new car when your lease is up.

2 Likes

This literally made me LOL and also think that I never use that junk in the first car...but move it to the new car anyways...

2 Likes

What type of phones? If iPhones, you may want to look at Locative as it is a direct integration between your phone and Hubitat, using the Hubitat Maker API app on your hub.

The same technique can also be used on Android using Tasker to call a webhook based on a geofence. I don't have those details as I am using iOS, but I believe some others have tried it successfully.

1 Like

grrrr, I have one of those too... I took this approach...if I'm paying for the phone I'm doing what I want with it. Keeping tabs on the kids isn't horrible. If she is paying for the phone...good luck :smiley:

In addition to keeping ST around for the cloud integrations it does well, it's useful for providing OTA firmware updates for several Zigbee devices (ST, Osram and Iris). Also, I have ST run an automation to periodically 'poke' a Hubitat virtual switch (via the Other Hub app) and expect a 'poke back' within a certain interval from a Hubitat automation (WebCoRE! I figure if WebCoRE is functional on my Hubitat, all its other automations are probably functional as well). Should that fail, ST should send me a notification that something isn't working as intended. I also use Hubitat to monitor ST in a similar manner.

how ironic right.. using one system to monitor the reliability of the other.

You could even put the Hubitat on a smartplug and have ST reboot it if it goes completely dark. Ohhh the hubmanity...

1 Like

I bet we could build a crazy routine where the 2 hubs just constantly reboot each other and notify us through Apple Home app and Alexa. saying ā€œThe hubs are fighting again!ā€

3 Likes

I sold mine on ebay, got $80 for it..........(In Australia, where until yesterday, the other hub is technically not available).

Can I sell mine in Australia?? :smiley: (kidding)

1 Like

It could cause some degree of interference with the HE hubā€™s zigbee or z-wave radios. A minor point but one worth considering.

And for some of the cloud-based integrations that ST supports, I believe an active hub isnā€™t even required, just a hub location (from what Iā€™ve read, canā€™t say that from personal experience).

I know you can turn one of the radios off. Zwave I believe. I just put mine in a metal rack in the basement. Not much RF leaving there.

Yes some of the cloud based stuff is no hub required.

1 Like