Issues with zigbee bulbs

My six Cree bulbs were also dropping off randomly every day when I was using Zigbee channel 26. Then I learned Cree speaks ZLL, which prefers channels 11, 15, 20, and 25. I changed to channel 25 and they're rock solid. I believe ZHA also likes 25, so it seems like a safe bet.

Also I read in a different thread that Osram had solved their repeating issues with a new firmware update. You'd have to update it with SmartThings or the Osram hub though.

1 Like

I am on Zigbee channel 20, which also plays nicely with older SmartThings Zigbee sensors and the ThingShield.

2 Likes

The rare and coveted ThingShield.

1 Like

I only have 7 Hue bulbs direct paired to HE and lost connection to all of them after firmware upgrade 1.1.3.113. Other brand bulbs are fine.

1 Like

Thanks all for your responses!

I've got a lot of zigbee outlets as repeaters, the lights that drop off are actually very close to the hub.

I just changed to change 25 from 11. Maybe that'll work.

2 Likes

Make sure you reset your zigbee devices one at a time, starting with the repeaters, or things may not work right away, or for a very long time.

1 Like

Well this was a bad idea, still most stuff isn't working. Wanted to wait it out as re pairing makes pushed devices to ST duplicate. Does zigbee just suck or is some of this a function of the hub?

Just reset the device without deleting it in HE. Run discovery and it will get added back to the same device name and automations.
As for Zigbee sucks or not. There are pros and cons to both Zigbee and zwave.

If I reset, event hub pusher duplicates devices in ST, that's a LOT of time for me as I still use Action Tiles and some complex automations with HE unsupported devices.

I thought zigbee was used in hospitals and such, just seems way more flaky than zwave. Only an observation over the last 3 or so years. :slight_smile:

Reset the device without deleting it in HE won't duplicate after discovery. Reset and deleted will.
Hopitals don't use low grade devices like we do :grin:

I beg to differ. Every time a device goes unresponsive and I reset it, never deleting anything, I get a duplicate.

Guess you are special! Wish I could turn one device to multiple devices.:grin:

1 Like

I have had to reset most of my devices after a channel change, along with some routine resets of flaky soon to be gone devices. Not once has preforming a discovery after a reset resulted in a duplicate device. This must be specific to your device as it must be changing it's network ID after resets.

When it discovers the new device with a network id matching one in the device list it should just re-associate it with the original device.

This isn't duplicating in HE, only ST with the Other Hub Event Pusher app. Sorry, I guess I want super clear on that, couldn't remember it's exact name.

I would hope that the type of zigbee implementations that hospitals deploy are significantly more robust (and costly) than typical home automation zigbee networks.

I have similar problems, 1 or 2 bulbs, usually cree, that drop off repeatedly. I also have a singled bulb or 2 that get stuck on. When I look in HE their state is incorrect. HE thinks they're off when they're on. Interestingly, I can still shut them off from alexa.

Finally, I have a singled RGBW bulb that seems to get random commands. I actually can't characterize what's happening with it. Mostly it works with my automations, but occasionally it won't shut off like the other singled, though interestingly in those cases, alexa seems to be able to shut it off.

Even more rarely, it'll turn on to 100% brightness in the middle of the night. It gets logged to the HE event logs, but I don't have a rule anywhere that would do this and have no idea where its coming from. Maybe a power spike or surge? My he hub is on a UPS so maybe it stays up but the zigbee bulb comes on to 100% when power is restored?

Sigh... maybe a hue hub is the best bet.

Keeping Zigbee bulbs off of HE is a good plan and Hue is a really good bridge that is compatible with some very cost effective bulbs. Your Sengled bulbs will not work with Hue unfortunately. They are Zigbee HA and Hue is Zigbee LL. The Home Automation profile can accommodate Zigbee Light Link bulbs, but the reverse is not possible.

"Keeping Zigbee bulbs off of HE is a good plan"? This is a rather sad commentary on Hubitat isn't it? Is not controlling zigbee bulbs one of its core missions?

Keeping zigbee bulbs on a separate mesh due to bulbs being bad routers is a good idea. No reflection on Hubitat. Can't fix bad bulb routers.

However you can buy a second hub and put your bulbs on it and link 2 hubs together.

I see. So the problem with my bulbs that fall off the network are not THAT bulb, but the route to that bulb from the next upstream bulb? That sort of makes sense.

I think most of my zigbee bulb woes are from a single cree bulb in hallway as a repeater to two other rooms. I've just freed up an iris smart plug. If I throw it in near the single bulb in the hallway, will the zigbee mesh adjust to prefer a route through that device?