Changed Zigbee channel 5 hours ago. None of my Zigbee devices are accessible

I realize it takes time, but shouldn't I be able to control a few things still? Changed channel from 26 to 25. I still have no access to any of my ~40 Zigbee devices, even after two reboots. Is there anything I can do to kickstart this process?

Can I ask why you changed the channel? I'm just curious because I did the same change, from 26 to 25 but I had no devices when I did the change.

start pulling batterys, that can help...

I started pulling batteries about 30 minutes after I changed the channel (5 hours ago), and then left the house for a few hours hoping things would resolve themselves. Rebooted right before I left as well. But none of my wired devices are accessible either. Or bulbs.

Unplugged for 15 minutes to initiate a heal. Still nothing. Opening a support ticket...

Okie doke. Switched channel back to 26 and all is well.

Apparently nothing happened at all for 5 hours after attempting to change channels... Guess I'll just stick with channel 26!

If you have repeater devices, with no batteries to pull, you'd need to reset them; then with the Hubitat in 'add mode' let them be re-discovered. They should join on the new channel. Their children should follow...
I think if you pull batteries on the children first (with the repeaters still on their original channel) and they are out of radio range of the hub the process might get derailed, or take a lot longer.

1 Like

Ah thanks. I was under the impression from a different thread that you just set the new channel and sit back and wait. I didn't reset or repair any of my wired repeaters, so that would explain that.

Well, that's what you are supposed to do... just wait. But it may take longer than 5 hours (probably depends on the size of your network; could be well into the next day). I did this when my migration was only about 10% complete (only a half dozen devices) and I got impatient so I tried different things. I think there is a thread somewhere where I detailed my experience.
I think the reason there is such a long 'time constant' involved with things like channel changes is that you don't want a temporary disruption in the network (like somebody moving or turning off a repeater for a short amount of time) to trigger a mass "lost contact, must be channel change, start scanning" type of disruption.

Ah yes. Yeah, no time for patience here either! :smiley:

I wonder if they put some attention towards this sort of thing in Zigbee 3.0.

Could be.. there is some flavor of Zigbee (Pro?) with a channel agility feature that will figure out if it needs to move to a different channel because of interference and initiate the process by itself. But that's not what we have here.

Kilowatts I changed from 22 to 15 I had to reset a bunch of items as they were all no shows outside of one item after 24+ hours. Basically start with any repeaters, do the factory reset on them with the "Discover Devices" screen up, they will reconnect. As others said many of their battery powered friends will follow but I reset 95% of my items. Doing it that way you do not have to remove them from hubitat and when they are rediscovered HE is smart enough to just put them back as the same device (no duplicates or reprogramming). It was painful, frankly and I don't plan to ever do a channel change again.

Like you, based on the helpful note in the interface and other posts I thought I could just switch it and wait it out, but not so.

When I first started with HE and with just a handful of Zigbee devices. It took roughly 2 days for the heal to complete.
Now I have hundreds and I find the quickest way is to reset the repeaters without deleting the device in HE. Hit discovery and most of my battery devices will automatically get back online.

1 Like

When you hit discovery after resetting, do they show back up with their original name? And do your automations stay intact as well?

1 Like

Yes, everything intact. That's the beauty of Zigbee.

2 Likes

I'm beginning to see the beauty of Zigbee.

Although I don't think I'll see the full beauty until I've replaced all my faulty Osram bulbs. :rofl:

One other thing I forgot to mention. I would go with lower Zigbee channel because for me. I have a couple of devices won't pair with anything higher than 22. Peanut plugs and GE older Zigbee light switches.

Yeah... Osram... I feel your pain :grin:

Honestly that was relatively easy. I changed to channel 25 because I have a bunch of Cree bulbs that like ZLL on 25. They kept disappearing and/or being flaky.

So I ran around to each repeater and reset while in discovery mode. They don't appear in the discovery view, but simply reconnect on their own behind the scenes. Then ran around to all the battery powered devices and reset while in discovery mode also. Took about 45mins for 30 Zigbee devices.

Then I unplugged for 15-20 mins to force a zigbee heal. I suspect it'll take all day, but hey, gotta do it.

1 Like