Issues with Third Reality Contact Sensors Battery Level and Firmware Version

@mike.maxwell CC: @ThirdReality
I’m having an issue with battery reporting on Third Reality contact sensors… they are not reporting battery at all. I have read many related posts, so I know that users are able to get battery reports. I updated the firmware and then removed and re-added the device but still no battery. Tried configure, refresh, etc. I’m using Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor (no temp) which is what the hub defaults to when I add these by Brand.

Updating the firmware to attempt to fix the battery reporting led me to a potential firmware update issue. When I perform a firmware update, it reports as successful as shown below. But if I attempt another firmware update, it again tries to update instead of indicating that the firmware is already up-to-date. I have done this 3 times one one device, and it went through the update process 3 times. The update log below shows 2 sequential firmware updates on the same device attempting update from …1F to …31. I also added device details for contact sensor before and after update. It’s odd that firmware continues to show …1F - perhaps that’s the issue? Also, when I drop a configure on one of the devices that’s had the firmware updated (maybe.. 3x), I’m getting the errors shown below.

Thanks for your help!

My Third Reality contact sensor is using "Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor (no temp)" as the type, not motion.

This is what mine is reporting:

endpointId: 01
application: 17
firmwareMT: 1233-D3A2-0000001F
manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc
model: 3RDS17BZ
softwareBuild: 00000031

Last battery report was 7 hours ago.

Sorry, yes, mine is contact sensor too. I had a tab open with a motion sensor at the time and copied the wrong thing.

Looks like data details are the same with the exception of application where mine is 1F and yours is 17. Maybe it’s a coincidence that it matches the firmware… or maybe that’s an indicator of the issue. So I am on the latest softwareBuild, same as you. Thanks for confirming you’re getting battery reporting on the same model#… odd that I’m not getting any battery on any of my devices of the same model#.

Yeah, i noticed this error in another thread, it will be fixed in the next platform update

1 Like

Thanks. Will that fix the battery reporting issue I’m experiencing or the firmware update?

it should yes.

2 Likes

@mike.maxwell - Updated to 2.3.4.127 and the battery reporting is fixed. Thank you. I’m still seeing weird issue with the firmware where I can’t tell whether it’s actually updating or not. I update firmware, completely removed, and re-added this device. It does show softwareBuild 00000031 after another update. I tried then another firmware update, and as you can see, HE still thinks the old firmware is installed and tries to update again when I request an update.

I believe this is just an issue with the firmware being displayed in decimal values vs hex. 0x1F == 31

I have two of these and one lost some of its info for no apparent reason but the software build somehow got change to the 1F value

The other one looks more like yours but not the same:

Seems to be very inconsistent with this device.

I switched both of them to the with-temp driver and disabled the temp, because otherwise the no-temp driver randomly will set the battery percent to 200 due to the way the device reports it.

Also, even if I switch them back to the no-temp driver they both display the update firmware button despite them both already being updated, not sure if that is normal as I do not have a lot of zigbee devices.

Thanks, I’ll try this

I have quite a few Zigbee devices that can be updated in HE (like Hue motion and bulbs). The button always appears, but HE will tell me if the firmware is already up-to-date and doesn’t try to re-update (image below). That’s why I find this behavior odd. It doesn’t seem to know that the firmware is updated. Probably some less-than-optimal reporting and whatnot with these cheaper sensors.

Yeah I believe that is what most of the issues are from. From other threads I have seen all the TR sensors have been giving Mike problems with the drivers.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.