Issues with Scenes in firmware 2.1.3.128

I am having a few issues with Scenes in this version.

#1 Zigbee dimmer it is not triggered by the scene.

If I select a Zigbee dimmer (I am using the Jasco dimmer.) Everything else in the scene triggers correctly.
Here is a sample scene where the dimmer does not trigger and is off prior to activating the scene.

scene1

And the Log

log

I do not know if this happens in previous versions as I just started to use Zigbee dimmers.

#2 Must "Capture Scene" to continue setting scene parameters.
When creating a scene you are forced to Capture the scene even after selecting the objects you want to set.
Create scene and select dimmers/switches. At this point you cannot set the parameters and are forced to save and go back to the list of scenes then go back in to the scene to configure it.

Now this is fine if you want to go through each device and set them the way you want them first but that is painful to me. Wouldn't it be easier though to make capture an option?

#3 Scenes listed multiple times under "Scenes to Activate" in Rule Machine.
When I attempt to select a Scene to be triggered by Rule Machine it lists each Scene multiple times

Thanks for any feedback here and for creating a great product.

I noticed #3 as well. It looked like every time I modified a scene, it would create a new copy of it instead.

I reported the #3 issue over a week ago. The response was that it was an issue they are going to work on.

Thanks. That didn't come up in searches. Probably because it was buried in a large post.
The first one is the real issue though.

The second really isn't an issue....it's the way scenes work. You can't modify the settings of a device until it first captures those setting in the scene. That's done so the scene knows what setting there are to be modified.

I understand it is the way they currently work. It is just poor design. Especially when you have the ability to have things that don't report back such as Http momentary. At least there is a workaround.

What would you configure in a momentary button? It gets pushed. There's nothing to configure. How would the scene know what attributes there are that can be edited without first checking what attributes the device has?

Maybe there is a data level constraint but when you select the device via the checkbox it should know what that device is capable of.
With this method if you want to set a scene you would either go wander around and set every light to where you want it then go and create your scene. This is what the old X10 way of thinking was. Or just select the lights you want and capture whatever state they are in then change them in the software.
In the case of older lights like Insteon they don't necessarily sync properly and I also have some other control systems that I am triggering as there isn't support for what they can do yet or I haven't migrated the functionality yet. Regardless of my specific reasons from an architecture standpoint it the method of capturing the scene is flawed. I'm not saying get rid of it as some may find it ok but it has been a painful way for me for almost 30 years.

No, you don't. You can capture the scene and then adjust the individual device settings to whatever you want. It was designed that way to make it easiest for beginners who have no idea what they're doing.
If you have device that aren't responsive, what does that have to do with creating a scene? I don't understand what one has to do with the other.

It seems by your response that you are only including lights in your definition of scene.
AGAIN I suggested to make it optional not remove it. There is a work around of capturing the devices in whatever state they are in and changing them. It just takes a bit longer. If I find the need I can always write my own module.
Lets just focus on the Zigbee dimmer issue.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with scenes argument

Please keep the conversation on point and don't forget, criticize ideas, not people .

Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

https://community.hubitat.com/faq#agreeable