Issues with C5 and C7

Can you describe exactly the process you followed? There are at least two varieties, one, a manual process that can be problematic if it is not followed exactly, and another, an automatic process using the Hub Protect subscription service. I have successfully done the former but have not tried the latter.

1 Like

We are "seeing" your emails. We are a little backed up over the holidays and still working through some of the responses received in the past 3 days. Your ticket will be addressed soon. I see that you've mentioned yesterday that you have attempted to migrate to a new C7 and things didn't work well. Someone will get back to you soon. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Just to comment based on your historical problems that you've experienced, migrating an unhealthy C5 mesh will result in an unhealthy C7 mesh, or worse. I don't recommend attempting to migrate the C5 mesh. Based on your previous comments and details of your tickets, your C5 mesh is not in a good shape to be moved over to a new hub.

Z-Wave transfer option offered by Hub Protect is intended to recover a healthy mesh from a defunct hub that is no longer functional. This option doesn't fix any prior Z-Wave issue, is a replica of what existed on the dead hub. If the mesh was not healthy, the same problems or worse will exist in the new hub.

3 Likes

Based on your C7s engineering logs, your radio is functional. I recommend updating to the last release, then reset the radio from Z-Wave Details and rebuild the Z-Wave network. In the long run you'll be happier with the C7 than C5, as it gives you better tools to troubleshoot Z-Wave problems and identify which devices may cause issues.

As mentioned in my previous email the problems you are experiencing with the C5 hub are indeed related to ghost Z-Wave nodes and/or one or more devices that may be too far away from the hub (or a lack of repeaters in your system). Your locks are also struggling to communicate properly to the hub, and you have at least 4 dead nodes that the hub is unable to remove during the nightly clean up process.

4 Likes

Roger that. Starting over again :slight_smile:

I used the migration method with the protect subscription and I did do a repair as well. Looks like a reset is in my future!

Thanks guys.

Thanks man!

1 Like

@danpirro
Just remember. If you have a failed pairing, STOP. Check z-wave details page for a ghost (won't have a route). Delete ghost, factory reset device, then attempt pair again. Pair all devices with NO security except for locks or garage door devices.

1 Like

Ok, sounds like your C-5 Z-Wave mesh is hosed. In that case, the manual migration process is what you want to do. I would suggest doing a soft reset, then restore from a recent C-5 backup, then reset your Z-Wave radio. That will preserve your automations and your Zigbee pairings, which you say are good. Then, for your Z-Wave, use the manual migration process described here, building your mesh from the hub outward. After each pairing, check to make sure you have no ghost devices from failed or incomplete pairings, removing any ghosts before proceeding. This will preserve your automations. However, it doesn’t work on securely paired devices, or on parent/child devices, so, after you pair those, you will have to go to each automation and Dashboard tile using them, and manually swap out the old device with the new, then delete the old.

2 Likes

C7 and C5 and it’s even worse. Half the time automations don’t run and the devices have no log of the automation even trying.

I have all devices on the C7 and all automations on the C5 trying to spread the load. It’s terrible. So more questions. Does anyone use the hub mesh reliably? I’m not even going to talk about the Alexa integration anymore but man I thought this would improve my situation.

So my question is should I move everything to the C7 and be done with it? Throw the C5 away?

I do. I have all my zwave on my C-7. All my zigbee, LAN, and virtual devices on a C-5.

I used HubConnect previously but switched to HubMesh as soon as it was released. Everything has been rock solid. And I have meshed devices going both ways.

5 Likes

I run 3 hubs - a Z-Wave C7, Zigbee C5 and Network/Cloud apps C5. I use HubMesh to share devices with Alexa, share Lutron devices (mostly picos) from the Lutron Bridge etc. Has been working fine for a year or so. I would not get rid of the C5..

3 Likes

What do your meshes look like?

1 Like

Not sure I understand the question? Both my Z-Wave and Zigbee meshes appear to be okay afaik. Am not getting any network busy or have any stats issues like free mem issues etc... like I did on my C4's

apologies - jumped in too quickly!!!

I’m guessing Jean meant that for @Antoun?

2 Likes

Sorry not you @erktrek, was asking @danpirro. If I recall correctly the mesh and devices on the C5 were so bad on the C5 that it was recommended to rebuild the mesh on the C7 instead of trying to remove the ghosts and other problems on the C5. If in rebuilding on the C7 he created more ghosts….

4 Likes

No ghosts. Mesh says it’s solid. It all worked last night but this morning it didn’t. I’ll just see what happens.

Post you're current z-wave details page (so we can see stats)

4 Likes

It’s the scheduled items that are now hit or miss. Manual execution works just fine. I’m tossing the C5. Every time it’s involved something does not work correctly.

Post your z-wave details page so we can look at it and see where you're having issues in your mesh