Issues over at Wyze

The Wyze servers were down for hours last night and this morning. That means their door locks, thermostats, cameras, and anything else that relies on their servers was broken.

Every time this happens, which is too often, I post in their forum about changing to local control like HE.

Really reminds me of why I ditched ST.

Since Wyze is a Xiaomi VAR (the ROKU cameras at WalMart are also made by Xiaomi and are identical other than the firmware and branding), they would have to contract with Xiaomi to design and manufacture a hub.

Their status page https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015979872-Service-Status-Known-Issues was last updated February 2, 2024 so I spent time troubleshooting what I thought was on my end. Then the folks in California woke up and updated the status page.

1 Like

If it really happens that often, maybe it’s time to follow through on that proposed change?

There were issues accessing camera footage (even on the SD card) this morning too

Wish I found this before I did that!

1 Like

I would sell everything but I have a considerable investment.

24 cameras
Scale
Robot vacuum
Doorbell
2 outdoor sockets
2 floor lamps

When their servers are up, everything works great.

I had the OG WyzeSense sensors and used that locally through a *nix integration. Was useful but I decided to be less hacky and moved over to ring sensors. Now, I won't buy a sensor if it relies on a centralized server that's not my hub.

I still have my old Wyze cameras too, but replaced them with cameras that have native RTSP, and not an unmanaged firmware from the company.

Unless Wyze moves to a full local option, despite the cheap costs of them, I would start looking into alternatives.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.