Issues after power outage

While I was away, there was a prolonged power outage in my neighbourhood, and my UPSs run out their batteries, so HE went through a power cycle. A few things I noticed from the log file:

1. Time didn't set correctly. The HE booted up faster than my router, it didn't get correct time immediately, and its time was set to 2014/12/31, which was okay. I would expect HE should retry a few times before giving up, at that time, my router should be up running and correct time should be set. And NTP daemon should correct time after a day or so. But I saw neither (please see attached log file)
  2. the devices connected through telnet lost the connections. Again, due to HE booted up faster the router, HE couldn't communicate to other TCP/IP devices initially. I would expect HE retries a few times before giving up, it didn't happen.
  3. Zwave/Zigbee devices seem to be unaffected, which is good.
  4. Some rules run as expected, some rules don't seem to run, need dig more on this.

I have my HE execute an "initialize" command on my telnet devices after a 5 min delay after bootup. You can find the startup event in RM.

1 Like

We are expecting some severe weather in a couple of days so I was checking out my backup power and mistakenly powered off my hub. I had the same problem when I restored power to the hub before my router. A hub reboot fixed the issue but I had some time dependent RM 3 rules that were stuck in the True state even though the current time (11:45 PM) was outside the time window (between sunset and 11:30 PM). Going into the rule cleared this up but this could cause a problem if I every exceed my backup power capacity.

@Ryan780 I looked for the startup event in RM but am missing it. Would you mind posting your rule for the initialize command?

First, it's not a command, it's a trigger.

Look for capability location and then systemstart.

And there it is. Thanks!

@Ryan780 Thanks for the tip! It will fix the issue 2. For issue 1, I think HE should fix it.

I think he would like the Hub to properly sync its time after a reboot, even if it takes a while before the internet connection is available. Seems like a reasonable request.

Oh...issue #1 from the list? Totally not how I read that since I wasn't talking about that at all. LMAO

1 Like