Issue with RM: how to get a random rule generator to run one rule at a time

Hi!

I generated a random rule generator with your help, and it runs fine. Now my issue is I wrote different independent scenes called Movie scenes (0...4) , and when I run the random rule generator, they all start playing at once!

1. below: 2 screenhots of the random rule/scene generator. The trigger is push button 1 once.

1. Below: an example of a movie scene rule. They all follow the same format, with same trigger: push button 1 once.

What am I doing wrong? I would like only the select random rule to play (and not the other).

I figured the issue was because all my scenes have the same trigger as the random rule generator. So I added a required condition in each of the scenes (so that the scene only plays when the variable is TRUE). Note my variable in not a local variable but a global variable:

In any case, now it's not working at all -the random generator won't play anything at all.

I also tried creating local conditions in each of the scenes/rules (it didnt work). I read in the forum I could use boolean but I'm not sure how to in this case.

Can you help? The rules' actions work fine. I'm just not sure how to articulate the rule generator with my various rules. Thank you.

I don't understand why your random rule generator and the movie scene rule are using the same trigger. The random rule generator is running the rule, why would you also trigger it from the same button?

A required expression is evaluated at the time of trigger. Since the triggers are simultaneous and the random rule is changing your required expression that seems like circular logic.

Hi: sorry I am new at this.
So should I just eliminate the triggers in each of the rules?
OR switch the rules triggers to something else so that they don't have the same trigger as the random rule generator? I don't plan to use the rules/scenes independently of the random rule generator,

If I understand what you want. You push the button and one of 5 rules, movie scene 0 thru 4, are ran?

If that is what you want then the movie scene rules need no trigger. The movie scene rules actions are ran from the random rule generator.

So remove the required expression and triggers from those rules.

1 Like

Yes, that's exactly what I want to achieve.
It now works, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.