Issue w/ Zooz ZSE42

I replaced the battery in this sensor and afterward the battery level showed 0.
However, the water detection still seemed to work.
I decided to update the firmware and that went successfully but still having issues w/ the device showing 0 for battery and also noticed the firmware version doesn't show the new version.

I went into the Z-Wave settings and found it was in a PENDING state. I tried power cycling the device, refreshing, and running a Z-Wave repair but nothing has helped.
zse42Pending

What are my next best options?
I've never had to replace a zwave device before, do I have to re-setup all the things that it's in use by like the dashboard and notifications?

Most battery-powered Z-Wave devices will not respond to commands from the hub unless they are "awake" at that moment. "Pending" isn't necessarily a problem for these devices--it's just that they didn't respond to the refresh, and that is normal for them under these cirumstances. To wake, consult the manual for the "wake up" procedure, which a quick search for these shows is probably 4 taps of the Z-Wave button on the device.

Your new battery level might come when you do a "Refresh" from the device detail page, if that command is there, or the next time it checks in (often once a day or so, though it depends on the device and its configuration). You could try "Configure" if there and not, or maybe just a "Save Preferences" it nothing else. For any of these, it would also need to be awake. The new firmware version may also be fetched with one of these, though there is no standard for if or when this data is retrieved. The for-sure way would be the Device Firmware Updater app or anything that could send a command to fetch the current version (and even then, you might need to un-select and re-select the device if it's currently selected--I think it might cache some data).

Oh, and battery reporting for lithium cells in particular is notoriously unreliable, but 0% for a new battery is odd, even by those standards. :slight_smile:

But otherwise nothing here really sounds like a surefire problem unless you're experiecing any actual problems you haven't noted.

2 Likes

As I recall, my Zooz motions wake up periodically and check in. Like every 24 hours or so. If you're patient, you can just wait. Or push a button for X times, as per the manual, if you're not.

1 Like

When I did a firmware update on my ZSE42's, I had to exclude/factory reset/include for them to work properly after that.

2 Likes

If you want to try doing the zwave "replace" option here is a guide I made for it: [Guide] Updating Firmware and ZWave Replace

Otherwise it sounds like the device is still talking to the hub via the leak alerts from what you said, so the replace is probably not needed. It is possible the built in ZSE42 driver will never ask the device for the firmware version except at pairing, so that may never change. You could try switching to the community driver and doing a configure/refresh from that and I think that one will get a new version: [RELEASE] Zooz ZSE42 WATER LEAK XS SENSOR Driver

I checked over the code, it looks like you do a "Save Preferences" at the bottom, it should set a state variable queuedConfig: true (Make sure the settings are what you want before the next step). Once that is set, wake up the device and it should update the battery and firmware version.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I finally got back to looking at this device and today it's now reporting battery 100% and the zwave details page shows normal too.
The only thing still off is the firmware is still showing the older version but I can live w/ that.

1 Like

That will require an exclude/include to fix.

Actually the custom driver I listed up above would refresh the firmware version, as will any of my drivers (I dont have one for this device).

1 Like