Isn't it time that Hubitat get's The Verge and other blogs to understand they "Matter"?

Say that to Fuji and Kodak photography division :grin:

And here I thought they made their own beer.

Cmon, we make bathtub gin

2 Likes

He doesn't. He said in his latest video that

Matter is a massive pile of garbage

and goes on to give 4 reasons it will fail.

(FWIW, I also find his videos obnoxious)

3 Likes

Now you sound like Paul :wink:, and you're both right on this one!

1 Like

Wait a minute... You mean there are people who comment on this stuff, on platforms like YouTube? Huh. Well, there's yet another thing I don't need to spend my time on.

Also, if we happen to own the company Hubitat, then we can worry about how they're doing marketing and PR. Otherwise, if our neat little devices work with our switches and dimmers and sensors and such, it seems that's about all we need to be concerned with.

2 Likes

I'm losing interest in Matter, I think it's just going to add one more layer of complexity. And the longer they take to actually launch it the more I worry about how thick that layer is going to end up being.

3 Likes

I'm still hopeful that Matter will provide a more 'local' and consistent means of talking to Wifi devices. I'm concerned that there are going to be hurdles put in the way of it though. I could see a C9 version of HE with a combined zigbee/thread radio that could help support the Matter stuff.

Be easier if they just added Thread to everything...Matter wouldn't matter

3 Likes

The issue is that thread doesn't provide application layer details. You can still bit all over the place with API's / web services /mqtt / etc.

I am wondering if they will ever get the major players to agree. Each wants their platform to be dominant. Can you put a dozen 800 pound male gorillas in a cage and expect them to play nicely?

4 Likes

Right but with thread, it can keep everything local. Even with let say certain outlets that are Homekit compatible, this is done via thread if used with apple and cloud api if done by themselves or other hubs. Apple isn't using specific apple api but they are keeping it local and the wifi portion of the device isn't going anywhere. (I have a couple for testing).

I have Nest Protect, that network with each other using Thread. They still moan and flash at me if they can't get online via wifi. They don't even need to get online, it's not like Nest emails me when there is a problem or anything, all the signalling is done via the units. I bet loads of companies will still do something to ensure we have to be registered to their cloud services.

2 Likes

The operative word is "can" but it doesn't mean companies will. ZigBee, Z-Wave, etc "can" keep everything local but you have hubs. Thread has boarder routers such as the Nest thermostat that communicates with the Google mothership same with their mesh routers, they use part of the thread stack in the routers but the mothership is where all the work is done.

1 Like

Interesting I thought that Google collects energy reports and sell that info to power companies and then also provides demand pricing support to and from the energy companies. Their business model is based on have the cloud connection to collect the data.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing wasn't an excuse to bring out a load of new devices that the impulsive among us are going to feel impelled to buy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Manufacturers would do better to just publish an open API to their devices using whatever transport layer they decide to use, IP, zigbee, zwave. The consumer will then decide which is the best.

Fracturing the market with yet another quasi-standard creates more problems then it solves.

Perfect example was the early LAN technologies, once a true, open standard like tcp/ip on twisted-pair ethernet became available everything else went away.

3 Likes

That is kind of what they're trying to do now anyway. The network layer is IP over whatever. Id imagine if a new wireless mesh technology was developed that used IP that Matter world work over it.

It is essentially an Open API standard that unifies the language of communicating to devices.

If I had to guess what it may look like, I'd say the V2 API with Eventstream that Hue has been developing is a good candidate for how it might work.

1 Like

I can see it coming now.

And the reason? Zigbee and Z-Wave just have far too much momentum now for Matter to take over and become the one standard that does it all. If Matter were to eliminate the financial barrier to entry: getting membership and certification etc etc etc, they might have a prayer. But as long as they cost money as is being proposed, they're going to be just another "Also ran."

3 Likes

Except hundreds of companies have already signed up and paid, so I'd imagine they'd want a return on investment. I get what you're saying about another standard, but the difference here is the network agnostic nature of what they're doing. All speculation at the moment of course, and it may indeed be vaporware, but I don't understand the general negativity when I can see large potential benefits. Time of course will reveal all. I have some skeptism as well, given the history of these companies, but I'm more hopeful than most it seems.

1 Like