Is this because my tilt sensor isn't working right, or is it the relay app or z-wave?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I did watch the operation, and they did only turn on for a couple seconds, as evidenced by the blue light.

I like @krlaframboise 's idea of taking the app out of the timing mix by using the built in auto off time of the relay, especially since my z-wave has been acting screwy since updating to 2.2.4. It's intermittent, but if it continues, I'll increase the auto off duration at the relay.

1 Like

A door failed to open again. I'll bump up the auto-off timer on the relay from 2 to 4 seconds.

That will not change anything, all that setting does is to turn off the relay after a certain amount of time, the important thing is the initial command, if it's not getting it it just won't open the door (or close).

Look at it this way, if you are manually pressing the button, when you press you count to 2 seconds and then let go of the button. Letting go after 4 seconds will not change the fact that you pressed it or not. What is triggering the open/close is if you press that button, no press no open/close.

So what you need to figure out is why isn't it pressing the button, most likely it's not receiving the signal to do so in the first place.

My mesh has been flakey since the upgrade from 2.2.3.

Just now, I went out into the garage, and hit a garage door relay tile on my dashboard and nothing for 10 seconds! Then it opened. No error message. So, even though it was slow, it opened.

Hitting the relay from the dashboard is me, talking to the hub, and the hub talking to the relay. Hitting the relay with the app, is the app talking to the hub, and the hub talking to the relay. So, even if the hub talking to the relay is slow, but working, slowing the app's talking to the hub could affect timing somehow.

I unplugged the relay and tried the garage door from the dashboard. It gave me the same error : garage door failed to open. So, yeah, the relay isn't getting the message in time, likely due to the mesh (my theory).

It happened again with the 4 second momentary at the zen16. Garage door failed to open. Worked okay when I drove away and came back. I wonder if it could be related to this thread, which relates to suspected driver problems with the Ecolink door and window contact sensor.

And that's by triggering the relay directly without the use of the SmartApp?

Yes. Not using the momentary switching aspect of the app, just the relay.

There's a rework of the generic zwave contact sensor driver coming shortly, that interacted with other Ecolink contact sensors to clog the mesh up. I'm not sure that's the problem here though. Looking at the log, and as @nclark said, it seems that the relay doesn't get the message from the hub to activate. And then, it'll work fine the next time. Vexing.

Would you be able to add a signal repeater close to the garage to improve Z-Wave coverage in that area?

I don't think it's necessary; signal looks strong.

Since putting in a temporary driver for the Ecolink tilt, and rebooting the hub, I've had a couple of successful entrances. Hoping that's it.
edit: 3 for 3 now.

2 Likes

I seemed to have a failed to close this morning, which was a little different. It was 17 seconds from the apps' Turning on Relay Switch, to the device's reporting the relay switch is on. The app sent a Failed to Open report 13 seconds after the app said it was turning on the relay switch.

The difference in the closing example above, and the open example, is that the door did actually close, but failed to to actually open.

Is there any difference in the app between closing and opening? I can see maybe that would be the case. The whole thing could then be attributed to a slow mesh at that point in time.

Coincidentally, just came back from a little jaunt and the door didn't open again.
The app seems to send the message to the relay, but the relay never receives or acts on it.

I know I jinxed it, but I'm six for six over the last couple of days.

Been acting up last couple days. I took both sensors out for an hour drive and both doors failed to open on the return. I'm gonna see if I can simulate it with the sensors out of the car, but they usually behave when I do that.
edit: As predicted, both behaved on the simulation.

Sorry for the delay, but I just noticed this post...

I don't see any log entries from the ZEN16 so have you checked the event list of the parent and child relay to see if the switch actually turned on? If not then the device didn't receive the on command the handler sent it which explains why the door isn't opening.

I've found that Hubitat often chokes and drops messages when multiple z-wave devices are communicating at the same time so if you have other automations involving z-wave devices that activate when you arrive/leave then delaying those by a few seconds will most likely solve your problem.

If you don't have other automations then maybe increasing the ZEN16's auto off setting to something like 3-4 seconds might help, if you haven't done that already...

Thanks. Every once in a while the ZEN16 doesn't seem to get the message. I'll try your suggestions.

I'll be honest, I read the OP and did not read any of the replies. I had this same problem when I first setup my Zen16 to control my garage door. Go to apps and open the settings for the garage door. Increase the operating duration to be a couple of seconds longer than it actually takes.

So do you have other automations involving z-wave devices that trigger when you arrive/leave?

I have 3 Qubino shutter modules in the same room that send metering reports when they start and stop moving even with reporting disabled. When I tried controlling them and multiple lights at the same time things rarely worked as expected, but delaying the lighting automations by 5-10 seconds solved the problem.

The shades occasionally get duplicate commands and stutter, but I haven't had them fail to open/close since I've made that change.

That would solve the problem if the app was sending a notification that it failed when it didn't, but the door is actually failing to open/close for @velvetfoot which indicates the on z-wave message isn't making it to the ZEN16.

You're right. I misread the issue. Carry on!

The only automations I had were notifications via Pushover of an arrival/departure. Just for laughs, since it's not z-wave, I deleted them.
As I recall, according to the log, the notification did take a long-ish time to execute, so...