Is this because my tilt sensor isn't working right, or is it the relay app or z-wave?

I get a notification when a car arrived: Middle Garage Door Failed to Open. The door is indeed physically closed. Could this be because the tilt sensor is not working right? It's an Ecolink and only a month old. Or, could this be a Zooz Zen16 relay app? @agnes.zooz ? The same thing happened to me yesterday on the middle door.

What exactly is dev153, is it the tilt sensor, the Zen16 or something else.

I would retry the arrival sequence and have logging turned on for all sensors involved in the process as well as the app or rule you use. This way you can pin point exactly in time where things went wrong. At the same time, be in the garage to see exactly what is going on physically.

Did this ever work before, or is this a new setup?

Physically, nothing happens. I have to press the regular button, and then logs show it opened.

That is the left garage door, as defined by @krlaframboise 's app for the Zen16.

I tried that yesterday with the middle door, but of course, it worked.

Now that I look at the Events for the actual relay involve today, it looks like it hasn't activated for two days! So, somehow the signal isn't getting to the relay, I guess. Text only logging is available on the driver.

Probably having communication problems more than anything else. Try adding a repeater somewhere in between?

The z-wave radio seems pretty good:

Make sure debug logging is enabled in the app because there should be multiple log entries between "open()" and "garage door-left - door is closed".

Post the garage door app's settings for that door too so I can see if anything looks weird.

Update: I'm still a little confused about what the issue is because you were posting on the app's main topic a few days ago and repeatedly testing the system to try and re-create the power outage issue and it sounded like everything else was working as expected...

I really don't know what the heck is going on.

I went out a little while earlier and I closed the garage door behind me with the old garage door fob in the car. I came back to a door that had been open for a while.

I have a presence sensor that triggers a rule should close all doors when I leave.

So, I tried to simulate it. While not leaving the house, I opened the door, closed it, put the presence sensor in a tin box to simulate leaving, and low and below, I get a notification that two garage doors failed to close.

I go out into the garage, and two doors are open.

So, I simulated it.

Does telling it to close when it's already closed do something bad.

I'm gonna look at the rule, but I think I'm just gonna start from scratch, exclude/include, reinstall app, etc.

edit: couldn't duplicate it again. Probably will reinstall.

If you're using the ZEN16s garage door setting then you should change it to momentary and set the auto off setting to 2 seconds.

Also make sure that the door operating time setting in the app is greater than the actual amount of time it takes for the door to open/close and that the auto off setting is disabled.

I have all the default settings as noted in the app's notes, except for the setting after power interruption, which I've set to "off" rather that "return to mode before interruption". I wouldn't think that'd make a difference, and I was trying to address an issue where all three doors were open after I cut the power for something else. Maybe that was unrelated though, I wouldn't think "off" would hurt.

That I didn't do. I think the door operating time might be a second less than actual. I'll have to correct that.

auto off is disabled in the relay device's settings

That will cause it to check the contact sensors before the door finishes opening/closing which will cause false notifications about it not opening/closing so correcting that should solve part of the problem.

What's selected for the "Switch Type" setting of the relay you're using?

Toggle for all three.

This latest malfunction, with the door opening after I drove away, is confusing. The doors are ruled to close after presence is "away", and I had closed the door manually before I left.

I'm going to let it ride and see what happens. Monitor on app.

@krlaframboise ,

Malfunctioned again today.
Came home to a closed door and a Failed to Open notification (log below).
Any idea what the cause could be?

It looks like the relay switch never got turned on. Could this be a z-wave issue? My z-wave has been acting up since 2.2.4.

A successful entrance earlier is logged below the failed one.

Disable the auto off feature in the App and enable it in the device settings so that it automatically turns off after 2 seconds.

The weirdest thing...I was just doing this exact thing!

Also it's very important to keep the relays OFF before programming anything, the relays need to be off at all times and only activate to "ON" for a couple of seconds to trigger the motor, then they should go back to off. Sometimes 2 seconds may not be enough to activate the motor so if you keep seeing issues, try changing the auto-off timer to 4 seconds to see if it helps.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I did watch the operation, and they did only turn on for a couple seconds, as evidenced by the blue light.

I like @krlaframboise 's idea of taking the app out of the timing mix by using the built in auto off time of the relay, especially since my z-wave has been acting screwy since updating to 2.2.4. It's intermittent, but if it continues, I'll increase the auto off duration at the relay.

1 Like

A door failed to open again. I'll bump up the auto-off timer on the relay from 2 to 4 seconds.

That will not change anything, all that setting does is to turn off the relay after a certain amount of time, the important thing is the initial command, if it's not getting it it just won't open the door (or close).

Look at it this way, if you are manually pressing the button, when you press you count to 2 seconds and then let go of the button. Letting go after 4 seconds will not change the fact that you pressed it or not. What is triggering the open/close is if you press that button, no press no open/close.

So what you need to figure out is why isn't it pressing the button, most likely it's not receiving the signal to do so in the first place.

My mesh has been flakey since the upgrade from 2.2.3.

Just now, I went out into the garage, and hit a garage door relay tile on my dashboard and nothing for 10 seconds! Then it opened. No error message. So, even though it was slow, it opened.

Hitting the relay from the dashboard is me, talking to the hub, and the hub talking to the relay. Hitting the relay with the app, is the app talking to the hub, and the hub talking to the relay. So, even if the hub talking to the relay is slow, but working, slowing the app's talking to the hub could affect timing somehow.

I unplugged the relay and tried the garage door from the dashboard. It gave me the same error : garage door failed to open. So, yeah, the relay isn't getting the message in time, likely due to the mesh (my theory).