Is this a good time to upgrade firmware?

Some months ago there was a period when people seemed unhappy with the firmware releases--fairly or not, I don't know. It was just a common sentiment at the time.

As I had no need to update, I left my unit on 2.2.2.129 and kind of tuned out all Hubitat stuff for a while. The urge to tinker is back though... Is this a good time to catch up to the latest release?

What model hub do you have? If you have a C-7, I don't think I'd recommend anything earlier than 2.2.4 (and the version you're on is about the earliest firmware that will even run on that). Many Z-Wave fixes have been made since then, and your experience will undoubtedly be better, especially if you use any devices with S2.

If you're on a C-5 or earlier hub, I suppose it's up to you. If you decide to update and do have problems, there is a way to roll back to previous firmware, as you might be aware of. (Even if you've updated enough times that the specific versions you want are no longer available, there is currently a way to force it to download the latest 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 release--though not 2.2.2.) That plus a hub database backup that you can download yourself should give you a way to go back if you don't like something. But on the other hand, if you don't need any of the new features and consider your setup stable, it's entirely within your control if you want to stay where you are. :slight_smile:

Personally, I've updated all of my hubs (I have one of each model) to the latest version and haven't had any problems. In fact, I think around 2.2.3 (maybe it was 2.2.2, but I think that was a bit earlier....) there were lots of under-the-hood performance improvements that really improved things for me. I used to reboot one of my hubs once a week to keep up its speed, otherwise I could visibly notice things like slight lags in motion lighting automations. That is no more. Just one person's experience!

4 Likes

I have a C-5.

Thanks for the input... not the "do it, things are great now, no worries!" I was hoping for, haha. Since things are working fine other than the need to reboot once in a while, maybe I will just leave it alone.

I mean, things are great for me. And since you're rebooting, I can reiterate that 2.2.3 eliminated that need for me. But everyone's setup is different and I don't want to be overly confident about anything for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have three HE hubs, a C3, a C4, and a C7. All are running the latest 2.2.5.x release and are performing very well.

If you want to try 2.2.5, download a backup of the hub, and then give it a try. If you have issues, you’ll be able to revert to your current version and the restore the backup specific to that version.

The new hub performance statistics built into 2.2.5 are nice, as they can show if any devices or apps are running too frequently, or for too long.

I think the main complaints were from the earliest versions of firmware on the C7. The C5 had very few if any major issues with these firmwares.

You can do whatever you want, but there are some nice improvements in the later firmware versions that improved speed, backup sizes, hub statistics, and more. You also can now use a Wifi antenna instead of just ethernet, and there are advanced networking settings. There are too many improvements to list all of them, but these are some of the significant ones. You should go through the release notes and look at the huge list of improvements, bugfixes, and more.

2 Likes

That is when I was able to stop rebooting my hubs. That is also when I noticed a huge performance boost. I can’t imagine going back (or still being on) 2,2,2.

Things are great now for me with 2 C-5 hubs.

1 Like

I was on 2.2.2.129 on my C-5 for the longest time. Upgraded to 2.2.4.158 about a week before 2.2.5 came out. Finally upgraded to 2.2.5.131 about 2 days ago and everything has been working fine. That being said, almost all my logic (automations) is in Node-red (rules were created in HE but are "paused" and "disabled" just in case I need to go back),

I have paired additional Zigbee and Z-Wave devices and have not run into issues.

I was considering doing this prior to 2.2.3 due to slowdowns and having to reboot, but no longer a need.

For me, it was a way to learn Node-red and also possibly "future proofing". I came from Wink and this was a way to not having to re-do automation logic should anything happen with the HE platform. Not saying that anything will, but fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Literally EVERY release someone complains about or has issues with something. That said the others' advice is good, and worth noting.

3 Likes