Is there anyway to control Alexa via RM? Mute/Do Not Disturb

Is there a way I can have Hubitat mute my echo devices or put them in Do Not Disturb mode?

My kids have a habit of constantly asking Alexa to do things when its bedtime. I’d love a way to automatically disable Alexa inputs on certain echo devices at certain times. Is there a way to control the DND button via software?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge. But you might want to look into Echo Speaks - perhaps it can do it.

However, you can disable Hubitat's Amazon Echo integration at particular times, and reenable it later. For details see this post:

Pretty sure you can use either a virtual motion sensor or a virtual contact sensor — which Alexa can see — to trigger an Alexa Routine that puts your devices in DND. At least DND is one of the actions available (under actions --> device settings).

I use DND all the time. Echo speaks is the solve there.

you can issue dnd:

truth is - I forgot how I issued DND!

Unfortunately I don’t think DND is a solution for this.

DND prevents contacts from dropping in, announcing or calling an echo device.

Mute is what would prevent your kids from talking to Alexa. But the mute button is a hardware switch and can’t be controlled through software.

Add a smart switch and turn off that switch.

1 Like

DND won't do it. It will prevent announcements and the like but if they use the wake word it will respond. When I'm in bed Alexa tends to have trouble figuring out which device should answer me. ("Alexa continue my book" and it plays in the hallway.). It's a major pain in the ■■■. So I use Echo Speaks to change the wake word on two of the three echos in range. I change them back in the morning. Might not fool the kids for long though.

2 Likes

Switchbot!

1 Like

Plug the Alexa into a smart plug and then create a hubitat rule to turn on/off at certain times.

I would also create some Alexa routines that would allow voice commands to control the plugs.

1 Like

You might find a solution by enabling the "Amazon Kids" features of Alexa, which include limiting device usage by time.

Apparently you enroll your kids :roll_eyes: and set up a Parent Dashboard that allows per-kid controls including enabling and disabling Alexa devices or simply limiting access to media or smart home devices.

I haven't been through all of this (no kids in our house) so I don't know what kind or dynamic or programmable control there might be over this feature.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.