Is there anyone at hubitat?

hi all, might sound like a dumb question, but I used to run insteon in my house. support got worst and worst to then silent.. now they are out of business,

Im tring to register a hub, I never receive the confirmation code. not in spam, not anywhere. tried multiple re-send code. nothing. are their server down?
I email support tuesday. no reply. asked again thursday. nothing yet.

im worried hubitat is the next insteon... there is not even a phone number to call them...

There may not be a phone number as I believe the team is smallish and may not have dedicated admin staff to man the phone lines. There is no guarantee that any company will not go out of business. Name any one.

Tagging @bobbyD

The only issue with Hubitat is the hub registration. Once that is done then Hubitat, Inc could go away and you would still be able to use your hub as long as the hardware holds out. This is one of the main reasons I continue to use and recommend HE.

You WOULD lose any extra cloud services such as remote access, remote admin and migration BUT a good workaround is using a VPN.

This usually happens when an unsupported browser is used. We recommend Google Chrome, but also support Safari, Firefox and the recent Microsoft Edge based on Chromium. If you are using a different browser, please consider using one of the supported ones. If you are using a supported browser, then please send me a private message along with the email that you are using, and I'd be more than happy to further assist you.

4 Likes

thanks Bobby!
I just messaged you.

thanks Erktrek,
I actualy tested the mobile app while disconnecting internet from my router. (kind a simulating hubitat servers to be down) so I could connect to the web interface of the hub, but the mobile app on my iphone simply didn't load. which is a bit of a concern. did I do anything wrong?

1 Like

So there are 2 issues you are mentioning - Internet being down vs Hubitat Inc's services being down.

The difference is that with Hubitat being down you'd only lose the related services (and the app is part of it I think - I don't use it all that much) - ALL of your rules, devices, dashboards (local), other cloud apps/devices will continue to work as expected. IF the internet goes down then you'd also lose any cloud connected apps/devices but the local stuff will still work.

2 Likes

Got it, and fixed it. Looks like the code was sent out, but you never received it. You are good to go!

4 Likes

@user139 I just tested two similar scenarios. I put my iPhone into airplane mode so it could only connect to Hubitat's cloud service via wifi. I then created a firewall rule that blocked my iPhone from accessing the internet, so all traffic from the iPhone stayed local. My iPhone was not able to access the HE cloud. The Hubitat app worked fine. Then I did the opposite. I allowed my iPhone to access the Internet but I blocked HE, simulating a failure of HE's cloud. As long as my iPhone was still connected locally the HE app worked fine. When trying to connect remotely the app timed out, but that's what you would expect.

2 Likes

hum, thanks for trying it out. ill try again. maybe I did something wrong

Thanks for the heads up on that!!

Aside from what my teenager thinks I'm more of an "automation" type person than a "control" one so rarely use the app.

2 Likes

I actually don't have the app loaded on my phone. I do use HomeBridge/HomeKit, so I do have some of my Hubitat devices in Apple Home. But I use that very rarely as well - maybe once in two weeks.

3 Likes

With ya there. I don't really use the app for control as much as for checking on the automation. But it is handy.

3 Likes

The better test is simply pull the network cable on your modem to internet. As long as you're connected locally to your Wi-Fi you will be able to get to your hub

Can confirm Hubitat works flawlessly with Brave as well. I had some issues a couple years ago. but it has been a long time since I've had any issues.

1 Like