Is there an alternative to WEMO Connect for WEMO switches

I am at wits end. I regret ever going down the wifi path with WEMO Smart Switches and Dimmers. WEMO Connect works, but I am constantly having to delete and readd devices that just seem to stop working. The WEMO app also keeps losing or disconnecting from WEMO devices too. I cannot afford to replace the 25 switches/dimmers I put in (idiot me). I need to find a fix for WEMO Connect or a replacement.

Does anyone know of an alternative or a final fix for Web Connect?

YapFlapper :weary:

Did you mean Wemo connect? I've been using it with no issues, but I only have a few wemos left. Are you sure the issue is not wifi related? Noisy channel? Too much bandwidth running? Etc?

Yes, WEMO Connect, thanks. I corrected the error. I have the latest Orbi Pro with three units to cover my house. I have a VLAN for 2.4 mhz devices. I am not seeing any WiFi issues. I have dedicated IP addresses for all wifi devices. It has something to do with the behavior of the WEMO device as far as I can figure out. Most of my WEMO devices work well...until they don't.

Sorry I don't know the answer to the original question, but does anyone know where the original topic for the release of Wemo Connect is? I would think it would pop up right at the top of a search for . . . 'Wemo Connect'. But it didn't. And not farther down on the results page, at least not as far as I looked.

I have an older version and wanted to check what's available for upgrade, and any chatter about newer releases if any.

Thanks,
Jon

@YapFlapper , I am experiencing your very issue today.. but i have in the past, as well... I dont know what the issue is but I do think its resident in HE-Wemo Connect app..

Although, like you, I appear to have a bundle (50) wemo devices which I want to throw into a bonfire, but its an investment of 1000's of $$. At the best of times Wemo is flaky with its own app.. However what I'm experiencing (as you are too) is that the wemo app is controlling the wemo devices but HE doesnt... The behaviour appears sporadic and i dont think its related to the wifi or router at all.

I tried using static IP's for my wemo devices but that doesnt help....

From my logs I can see HE sending polling, subscribe, and On/Off requests to the device.. But the device remains offline to HE but online to the wemo app.

I started to see the WEMO switches grey out in the WEMO app too. I surveyed my house coverage with a wifi survey tool. Great coverage everywhere except one room. It is like a black hole. One of my Orbi satellites was located in the same room. I swapped out the wifi switches for Zigbee. Moved the satellite and although I am still seeing issues in WEMO connect, it is better with fewer issues.

I have since, as time/money allows, replaced WiFi devices with Zigbee with great results.

YapFlapper

1 Like

Wemo connect works well until it fails indeed. @jason0x43

For some reason, generally after a HE reboot, it will fail to assign either an IP or a MAC to a device.

The only way to get back on track is to delete the device on the device tab and let wemo connect rediscover the device. ….. and add the device back in all your automations

It smells like a bug to me.

J

Yeah, I still have the 2019-07-23 version. It was fine but now it crashes.

I only have 1 device but it is used in 8 applications. Aaargh!

I had to remove the app then reinstall it. Still needs updating.

Found a 2021 update hubitat/jason0x43-wemo_connect.groovy at master · jason0x43/hubitat · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks!

I am trying Kasa instead, so far much more reliable.

KASA switches and dimmers are really cheap and use network security. If I were installing today I would seriously consider them over Z-Wave Plus S2 or Zigbee unless I needed a longer range since they mesh unlike WiFi.