Is there a way to run actions for apps such as Notifications?

I'm a little lost.... Not just generally... But also what you are referring to... Are you saying that you want to run actions in other Apps in the same way you can trigger RM rules from other rules? I haven't heard of that being possible, but I could be wrong...

I am talking about the rule creation page.
In RM there is an option: "Run Actions".
There's nothing similar is other apps, like "Notifications".
I'm trying to see what it does when a battery is low, but can't figure out how to run the actions, as it were, for testing purposes.

Got it... that makes sense.... I imagine this would require a button included in the App, at the discretion of the App developer. So likely a feature request.

Reboot didn't do it.

Now I'm lost again....?

Well I switched batteries around...somewhat of a PITA...but that worked.

You can do this in Home Assistant using actionable notifications, but I haven’t found a way to do it with Hubitat. I use it in HA to notify me if my HE Zigbee network goes offline. It gives me the option to reboot the hub.

1 Like

Hopefully soon... Admittedly not built-in.... (using Tasker)

I may not be as lost now.... Though not sure this is what you were referring to @velvetfoot

Okay:

I had a rule in RM that attempted to notify me of a battery that was below a certain %. I did it in RM because I wanted to also use my Ecolink Chime/Siren for a voice notification.

Alas, this did not work properly. I've received indications on another thread that RM is not the way to go for this.

I created a rule in Notifications to use Pushover, only, and I've deleted the Chime/Siren RM rule. The Notifications rule, choosing the monitor all battery devices option, seems to work okay...based on the testing outlined above.

I can't claim to know enough about this, but certainly the consensus appears to be that the battery percentage reported by most devices is dubious at best. I recently adopted (about 2-3 days ago) the device acitvity monitor app to use activity of my contact sensors and buttons, which report temperature, so activity should be relatively regular compared to those that only report in when stuff happens.

Not sure how helpful this may have been...

AFAIK there’s no way to test the actions in the notifier app short of actually triggering the automation.

I assume it’s because the actual logic for automations built in the notifier app is generally very simple, so there’s less of a need to test them out; unlike rule machine, which can create extremely complex logic in the actions, including conditional statements, variables, etc.

2 Likes

Sometime back I wrote a Notification Switch driver that creates a virtual switch that can be set on/off based on the text contained in the notification. Not sure if it helps in your situation but it's at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/notifySwitch.groovy if you want to play with it.

Thanks. It's interesting, but I can see it helping here.
Changing out the batteries, first 100% and then to the old ones, ~36%, with the notification threshold adjusted accordingly, seemed to confirm the behavior...I hope, lol.

I have an automation like this working with the app Notifications.

It monitors the battery status of all devices or just the ones you choose, and sends a notification when the level of any monitored battery drops below the parameter you set, informing wich battery is below the parameter.

In my case, I receive the notification through Telegram, but you may choose other options including audio notifications.

Thanks. This is what I am doing now. I am using Pushover.

I had gone with Rule Machine because I also wanted my Ecolink Chime/Siren to talk to me. It is a Z-wave device and doesn't appear as a choice in the Notifications App dropdown box for audio devices.

It doesn't seem like RM can handle these multiple battery notifications.

You can do it in pushover. Simply send the endpoint with the notification

Can you share an example?

In general, rule machine can handle anything the notifier app can, and more. But it’s more difficult to configure a rule correctly the more complex it gets.

Should be "Hey something just happened here, url=http://whateveraddis/whateveryourendpointis"

Is that correct @ogiewon

@Vettester and @rlithgow1 - Feels like this little side conversation is pretty off-topic based on what the OP asked. :wink:

I have never embedded a URL in a Pushover message, but others may have. For details on my Pushover driver, see the following thread and feel free to ask questions there, where other Pushover users are more likely to answer.

2 Likes