Is there a way to access low battery alarm?

My z-wave leak detectors send out an alarm for low battery, but the only place it's seen is in Events on the device page.

The Zooz motion detector documentation also reference a low battery alarm, but I haven't seen one yet.

Is there a way to access this alarm in Events?

Does that mean there is an attribute called alarm 1 on that device? If so, could you not setup a rule to be triggered by either a change and/or that attribute reporting a value of 1?

No. The generic device driver for my Intellitech leak sensor does not have that attribute.

But, I haven't checked out the Zooz yet...will do now.

Generally, if devices send out battery low alarms, it would be really great to see them.

The leak detectors report battery % very poorly, but I noticed a red led blinking and then the alarm on Device Events, so that would be head and shoulders above the lame battery % on that device.

Looks like the Zooz ZSE18 advanced driver doesn't have an alarm attribute, just like the Intellitech:

I would have expected an Event to register the attribute on the lft hand side of your screenshot, but that could be the event name vs the attribute name...

By trigger, I was wondering if you could trigger from a change in the attribute... Let me check what I'm suggesting :slight_smile:

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of, assuming AQI is not part of any capability defined in HE and you would replace with your Alarm 1 attribute:

The way I look at it, the Events also include events direct from the device, vs any driver intervention. Question is, how to access this, except for a revised driver?

But, as seen in the first screen shot, it's not available as a choice in the dropdown.

Ah, it needs one of the generic capabilities, can't remember if it's refresh or actuator....

If I go to a similar device that's not alarming yet, I get this. Battery % is available as an attribute, but Alarm 1 isn't. I think it's a matter of the generic device driver not having the capability.

1 Like

Well close.... I expect, but I could be wrong.... I expect one of the generic capabilities opens up all the attributes, but other capabilities are more specific about the attributes they make available (if that makes any sense).

Is this developer-speak, because I don't speak that language, lol.

Yep. I'll come back to that in a minute. I expect you need to make some kind of request to the developer of the driver, either Hubitat or Community, can't say I have paid attention to who you may need to speak to.... Hopefully I'm on the mark with my assessment, but every chance I am wrong...

They seem to be busy lately.

If it's built-in, then at least for my first thoughts, they would need to tweak the driver, but there may be alternatives, if I/we think about it some more....

1 Like

To explain a little more of the developer-speak... For your and others benefit.... And Robert can probably explain this better than me...

Think of a driver as a two-way conversation / contract between your HE hub and the physical device. The "capabilities" the driver identifies as supporting define what information (attributes) HE will store about the device and what commands can be issued to the device (there's probably a bit more nuance to that, but let's run with that). I'm probably not cut out to provide a more detailed example at this time of night, so happy to expand in a couple of days or for others to step in.... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps I could picking a less generic driver from the list, or search for a community developed driver for that device. I've looked already for the community developed driver, but the only thing I found was one from 2018 that was ported from ST, and it didn't do alarm.

If you want to entertain alternate drivers, maybe both a broader search of the Community as well as a more targeted topic might get a response? Can understand your initial question re the Alarm 1 attribute, but if it is the driver you need to choose, then that may give you some alternatives to try...

1 Like

I've tried that already.
This was the most response I've gotten!
And I do appreciate it greatly!

You definitely chose the Cusotm Attribute option in Rule Machine as a Trigger Event?