Is there a good/easy solution to get text messages? Twilio Gets No More Money

Hey, how about ignoring this post too?

Original poster was not confused.
Twilio pulled the plug on non corporate users.
He's looking for an alternative SMS method.
Whoever posts on this thread should have a hands on approach on getting something to work.
Not just spout platitudes.

Ignore that.

1 Like

if hubitat would get tls or ssl over telnet working i could make sendmail work most likely for every provider.. the hold back is no security (ie tls ssl) so providers will not let you use their servers to send email.

2 Likes

Works with Android ... but no iOS support due to Apple's restrictions.

Sorry I haven't chimed in here since I originally posted. Got busy on something else. Yes I've used pushover. But on critical things, text messages get more immediate attention from me, which I why I asked this question. Not for other non sms solutions.

1 Like

See the two options I posted above. Both give you "real" SMS via email>SMS gateway of your ISP. E.g., for Verizon, email goes to [phonenumber]@vzwpix.com.

The Google Calendar option using a Gmail address to send the emails is nice in that you also get a cool integration w/Google Calendar, so a two-fer. :slight_smile: Sendmail requires an email service that doesn't require SSL/TLS, so you may need to setup a separate email account to use it.

Oh, and as you noticed we can and will happily go on and on w/out the OP around to bother us. :wink:

1 Like

I understand what you are saying. For instance I have outlook notifications turned off and keep Teams notifications on.

But in the case of pushover and the enhanced driver you have the ability to have unique sounds and a separate app for notifications. It would just require you to rewire your own “alert” levels.

I don’t mean to be critical, just offering an opinion.

3 Likes

@kahn-hubitat @velvetfoot @steve.maddigan
I tend to agree with the OP here.
Although I personally use pushover, and it's a great service, I find that among the vast majority of people, want notifications via SMS text messages. Maybe because "everyone" has it.
Regardless, I use various methods to send an email to the email->sms gateway of the cellphone provider.
There probably is some sort of security reason why Hubitat isn't allowing ssl/tls over telnet.

1 Like

I get that if you want to (almost always - remember Rogers and more recently Optus over here) get uninterrupted notifications then the phone network is the way to go.

Otherwise I see no particular benefit to SMS TBH.

As I mentioned in the "other" thread home assistant apparently can send SMS's via a cellular modem and this might be another option and doesn't require internet to use a gateway service.

This.

How’d you come to that conclusion?

3 Likes

When I first came to HE, I was bummed about no text option -- I just always figured that would be the most useful avenue for notifications. I begrudgingly went to Pushover ("ugh, another app") with low expectations, but now I'd never use anything else.

The ability to customize & prioritize messages is huge, especially since my iPhone and watch are always muted and are both are frustratingly inconsistent about alerting me to a text message. But Pushover comes through every time. And I love that emergency messages repeat until acknowledged. Pushover FTW.

6 Likes

Are we sure "Sendmail requires an email service that doesn't require SSL/TLS"?

I'm using my own domain at EasyDNS (in Canada), which gives me access to an outgoing SMTP under my domain, and I'm sending SMS messages via the xxx@vtext.com gateway, over port 587 (which I thought was SSL?) - It's possible EasyDNS is just accepting cleartext on that port as well. I haven't bothered to sniff the traffic to validate this is in transit over SSL.

But I've had no real problems using SendMail, the vtext SMS Gateway, and EasyDNS SMTP service - I just set it up, and it worked, and I send various alerts to two different cell phone #'s without much issue.

That said, I'm AM paying for my own domain (and e-mail accounts on that domain), but I purchased that for different reasons and I think I'm limited to 500 outgoing messages a day, which isn't an issue

Have folks tried 587 with other SMTP providers? (with authentication, obviously).
Clearly YMMV

I came to the conclusion that "the vast majority of people want notifications via SMS Text Messages" because that's what all my clients said. So, it's a very small subset, and very limited in geographical area (especially). So, please let me re-phrase that sentance:
"The vast majority of the people that I have dealt with, have stated that they want notifications (especially important ones) via SMS text messages."
(Please forgive my prior sloppy phrasing.)

3 Likes

How about if you have a phone that doesn't readily do apps, or you are prohibited from accessing the internet for security reasons. At a minimum, my Alcatel flip phone can't do Pushover, far as I know. I don't think you can even do Uber on it, so how do you call a 'cab' nowadays, lol. Haven't messed with it lately though.

1 Like

I get so many text messages (despite my best efforts to guard my phone number) text messages are essentially pointless, i don't read them, just open them long enough to reset the counter. Definitely prefer push. Even then I have scheduled summaries for most things that aren't actually critical. Pushover is one I do not include in the scheduled summary. I will add that pushover does also send text to an email address. I have some alerts from Ecowitt for our planters moisture sensors set up to email my wife.

4 Likes

How often does this come up outside of corporate/enterprise type networks?

2 Likes

I don't know.

I like to have the option to turn off mobile data to save money.

There also might be some personal security/privacy issues that I'm not aware of similar to leaving location on all the time.

Although, if "they" want to know where you are and what you're doing, I guess nothing is an impediment. Unless you don't carry a phone, which, really, is a fairly recent development. :slight_smile:

I can send a text from my email account from my phone/desktop to my phone carrier and get a text that way. But I can't seem to figure out how to get my hub to send the email. I just can't seem to be able to configure sendmail. I have xfinity. Anyone have an experience with this?

Ask your question in the Sendmail thread - that's where you'll get the best help w/your issue. Best to always to ask questions about integrations in the integration topics.

1 Like

True.
But I'm still trying to figure out why some come delayed more often than my texts do.