Is there a better or easier way to get logs?

I'm working with a dev trying to trouble shoot an app. It didn't work the way it was supposed to last night, but when I try to go to the logs to get there, its just gone (I assume too long ago, happened at 2145 last night). After clicking "show more" in the past logs for about 10 minutes I arrived at 1245 this afternoon, and logs for the app in question never populated. I even went into the app, clicked the gear icon , then clicked events, and nada. My 2 question, is there a limit to how far back you can go in logs, and how far is it? Is there a faster or more direct way to get to the logs you need without endlessly clicking load more and scrolling?

No limit other than reaching the max size, at which point new events overwrite the old.

The file is 10mb. The only way to extended historical logs, is to limit logs from other devices and apps.

No.

2 Likes

Can you filter on just what you are looking for?

1 Like

I presume that by having to click "show more" so many times and getting only to this afternoon, you have quite a bit going on with your hub. You may be better off dumping your logs external to the hub. I use Splunk personally. Nothing like being able to drop in a device name and set a specific time to whittle down to just the logs you need. Not to mention the graphing capabilities.

1 Like

I turn almost all logging off, then only enable stuff when I am troubleshooting.

2 Likes

This is the way to do it. By only turning on what you need to can see errors and only the loging you want.

1 Like

Still think it would be nice if we could export to a syslog server or the like..

2 Likes

The custom driver works pretty well. The only issue I run into is when logging RM since each rule comes across as multiple separate lines.

Would it be possible.... and this is more of a question for the HE boffins.... for a device to call a method in an associated app, if one exists? I'm thinking that if an app has linked a device and a method exists allowing for exporting logs, for example, then a method can be called to perform that action?

I didn't think I had much active. I'll go through today and see what's turned on and what can be turned off.

Or even a way to either filter the logs, or go direct to the relevant logs from within an app or device would be nice.

1 Like

FYI you can from a device. This was added in a recent release:

Clicking that button takes you to Past Logs and filters on that device.

1 Like

I did feel like a logging app / device to store logs in a locally stored file would be useful.... But built-in apps or drivers would not be able to utilise that option, from what I can envisage.... Which kind of nullifies the usefulness as far as I can see...

1 Like

I tried that. I wasn't finding what I needed there either. It seems like there was a time limit, about 7 hours, to how far back I could go, even after going through and turning logging off on almost everything I could. It may have had something to do with the file size as @bobbyD mentioned previously. @FriedCheese2006 helped me get set up with setting up Splunk (post 4), I'm still learning the ins and outs, but that seems to at least be an option.

There is no time limit, just size limit for the past logs file.

1 Like

What about exporting to a syslog server?

I have 6 days of logs without even pressing "show more". I get very few logs except when I have errors or warnings. You should be able to tone things down a little bit if you are only getting a few hours.