Is Text Logging a Strain on Resources?

Is keeping Text Logging turned on for all devices a strain on the C7?

I recently had a chatty device that I found by turning on text logging for all devices. Can I leave this on all the time? It's nice to occasionally look at the logs and verify everything is behaving properly .

Whenever I add a new device, I turn on DescriptionText logging for a few days and then turn it off after assuring myself that it is behaving as intended. I find it easier to scan through logs for errors if they don't get too cluttered with information that isn't necessary for the operation of my hubs or automation.

1 Like

I have descriptive text logging turned on for most of my 188 devices and Action logging on for most of my 210 apps. I set the event history size and state history size set to 11 and I write the logs to a MySQL database using NodeRed. So I don't have a lot of logs stored on the hub, but I have access to a lot of log info in the external database.

I average 13,000 log entries per day and keep about a month's logs in the database. My C7's mean CPU use over the last week is 4% and the max was 13.5%. My free memory and DB size vary a lot, but I don't have any issues with slowdowns or lack responsiveness from the hub.

So my experience is that you can have a lot of logging turned on without any negative impacts on a C7.

My main concern would be the huge number of writing operations (to save every log entry) - IMHO the memory chip has only a limited amount free.

You wouldn't notice any problems in the first year, but maybe after 3 or 4 years? :thinking:

You raise a good point...

@bravenel any thoughts on the longevity of a hub with 13,000 events written to the log every day? Could I set the number of events and states to zero on the hub while still pulling the logs through the logsocket and there by prevent any writing to the hub's storage?

I don't really have any idea to be honest. Sure, an SSD is eventually going to wear out. Do 13000 events a day make a measurable difference in that? No clue, although I doubt it.

I certainly wouldn't worry about this, and instead suggest that having adequate logs is more important than this concern.

2 Likes