Is my logic sound on these Washing Machine rules for notifying me on completion?

Recently installed a Zooz power monitor on my washing machine and I'm attempting to make HE send me alerts when the machine is done. It is a little tricky as my washing machine has some down time when it is going through the cycles, almost as if it rests before it starts the spin cycle.

So the bird's eye level view is this:

• Rule A (top screenshot): When the machine starts (power reading above "3.00"), set a variable ("washing-machine") to signify it is running, while also cancelling Rule B if it is in process of determining if it has finished

• Rule B (bottom screenshot): When the power drawn by the washing machine drops below "3.00" and 90 seconds have passed (meaning it really is complete, not in one of the above-mentioned rest periods), then alert me and set the variable "washing-machine" to false.

The cancellation is the part that I still haven't gotten my head around in the few weeks I've had HE, that's the part I'm concerned above, as this isn't really a process/device I can test, test and retest to make sure I got it right

Thanks in advance!

Rule A (signifying running, cancel if it's waiting to say completed)

Rule B (waiting 90 seconds to see if the machine is really done)

You should be able to accomplish this in a single rule, to keep things simple.

Here is my Dryer RM4 rule. The Washer one is basically the same, except for the power threshold. You'll need to figure that value out for your specific devices to prevent false alerts.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks! Created a rule that mimics that one.

1 Like

This is mine, based on @ogiewon

I do not use the trigger changed because my samsung washer power, when idle, is always changing. So I defined a fixed power that the machine never cross when idle.

I put a filter to measure the maximum power used by the machine because the Zooz I use (Zen15), sometimes, measure a very high amount of power. No explanations, but need to filter the false max.

Added global variables to display on a tile the moment the washer started and ended, including the max power used.

i do not use the trigger changed because my samsung washer power, when idle, is always changing. So defined a fixed power that the machine never cross when idle.

I'm for sure going to muse over your ruleset later on after I finish working, but I'm curious to know if that is really helping matters.

For Rule Machine to know the washer crossed the fixed power setting, it would have to be monitoring the "change" event, so I don't see off the top of my head any improvement gained.

Then again, I just may be overthinking things.

If I use change, that means the rule is always triggered (and denied just after because the power is too low).
If I measure the power, the rule is triggered only when the washer is really functionning.

If you shut down the washer with the zooz, no real difference and changed is perfect. In my case, I let the machine in idle mode (WAF). So my wife has to use the washer as usual and no need to activate another zooz switch before use.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.