Is it possible for HE to use z-wave association to control a Bali shade?

I have 13 Bali motorized shades controlled by 2 Bali Premium remotes where each remote can control all of the 13 shades but not sure how they manage to do that. Is it possible that HE8 could also control the shades in the same fashion as having two Bali remotes that can do so? Or perhaps HE could use z-wave association to the shades?

If possible, this would be a real boon since installers don't fool with anything but the remotes, and since the remotes work so well, I'm loath to reset them, reset all the shades, and start all over pairing each shade with HE and then have to use the remotes as button controllers.

I like the remotes but would love to automate certain things such as opening and closing at certain times of day or temperatures.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,
If you want to control the shades they must be paired with your Hub. Even if you would want to set an association later as for that the Hub needs to talk to both the devices you want to create an association between. Some devices allow a direct association to be setup, but that basically replicates what you have with the remote(s).

Looking at the instructions they do tell you to first unpair the remote(s) and then start over.
See, pages 43-47: Z-Wave: Owner's Manual for your Motorized Shade : Support Center

Cheers Rene

Hi Rene, are you saying the 2nd remote has an association with the shades and the first remote is paired with them? I guess I was hoping that the HE could have a direct association to the shades or whatever the 2nd remote did to also control the same shades. I understand the HE cannot do that now but was hoping it was possible and maybe a future software prospect.

Alternatively, could the HE potentially control the Bali Gateway along with the remotes?
Bali claims the new z-wave motor "Can be operated with 3 remotes as well as the NEW Bali App".
Just hoping however they manage that could be applied to the HE.

Thx, Dave

I have 3 Bali blinds using the small two button remote. I first had to reset the blinds then associate the blinds with Hubitat. After the blinds were associated with Hubitat then I had to start the remote pair mode then put the blinds in a different pair mode that uses a much shorter press on the blinds control button. Here some information I found on the Homeseer board:

Well, it turns out Bali includes some good description how to integrate the blinds with a home automation system towards the end of the manual. So here is what I did:

• Press the 'reset' button on the back of the remote (the small one or very small one, not the multi channel one). Keep it pressed for about 15s when it switches from blinking green to blinking orange to blinking red and then turning the LED off.
  • Press the 'reset/program' button on the motor for 7 seconds until the light goes red and the motor jugs. These two steps I think set everything back to factory settings so you probably have to set the lower and upper limit again. Check the manual for that (basically, for the lower limit press the down button until the blind is at the lowest position. Then press the up/down button for 3-4 seconds, adjust your desired limit by pressing the up/down buttons on the remote and when done press the up/down button for 3-4 seconds again).
  • Now the motor was added to HS. You can also add the remote to HS. I am not quite sure yet what that is useful for but I did it anyways. To do this tell HS to add another device (I did this again with the Z-Tool+ app). Then press the 'reset/program' button on the back of the remote for 3-4s. This adds the remote to HS. I had quite a few failures to add the remote and had to repeat this procedure. The strange thing is that the remote was added as a node when looking at Plugins->z-wave->Node Information but the node wouldn't show up under View->Device Management.
  • At this point you can't control the blind with your remote because the association was broken in the first step. To be able to control the blinds with not just HS but also the remote you have to add the remote back as a controller. To do this press the "reset/program" button on the back of the remote (not the 3-4s but just briefly). Then press the "reset/program' button on the motor for 3-4s. Now you can again control the blinds with the remote. This was the easiest part and it always worked with the first attempt.

Thanks. I was hoping that there would be some way to do this in reverse - like adding multiple Bali remotes on the same shade, where it was the Hubitat that was added later on like a 2nd or 3rd remote. Probably not doable now but with software changes? I'm going to experiment w/ some things.