Is it ok to list out If-Then statements like this, or should they be nested?

You could split out the early bird condition to a top level if condition, the do if conditions inside that for each mode.

It can work the same yes, but is probably the least efficient way of doing it. In this case every single one will be evaluated, one after the other. If there is an opportunity to nest them, a single top level evaluation may then skip all the nested ones saving a bit a processing time. We may be talking mere milliseconds, so possibly not worth the trouble.

4 Likes

What type of device are the activators that you are turning on? What is the trigger for your rule? If you wanted speed, I would break them into individual rules. You could also possibly use Room Lighting depending on the triggers.

Ok gotcha, that's helpful as well. And yes this is only triggered on mode changed, and the idea of the 2 minute delay gives ample time to allow other mode-change triggered rules/scenes/room lights to complete.

This rule is dual purpose:
1 - double down on the room light activation in case it didn't complete
2 - creating active on the omni sensor motion (which is a condition on having motion detected at one of the doorbells to auto-unlock the corresponding door)

It doesn't always unlock but I've chalked it up to blink but today when I was looking I noticed the omni sensor wasn't active so thought maybe this was either not completing or not fully exiting, etc.

With the two purposes, you might think about just having two different rules as that will help with logging/troubleshooting if necessary. The first should just control the motion sensor like you currently have.

To double down on Room Lighting Activators, this could be changed to simple conditionals (If Mode X, then On X Activator). If your Room Lighting instances have the activate even if partially activated option selected, you'll be able to hit them a second time to make sure it takes.

Yeah that's a good idea. I really try to combine actions that go together in rules together when possible as I have so many already. Thank God the related apps are listed on the device pages, or I'd never be able to remember where I have things!