Is it finally time to embrace Matter? < Hint NOT!

Yes. You need a DNS-SD browser tool. On iPhone, I use this one:

1. On your local domain, you look for an entry "_meshcop._upd"
  2. Select "_meshcop._udp" and you will then see your active border routers
  3. For each border router, you can then look in its TXT Record. The entry tv= shows the version of thread. The entry nn= shows the current thread network.
  4. You'll know they are all working together if the nn= entries are all the same.
  5. Note that when you first set up a thread network, or add an additional border router, it can take some time (e.g., a day) for TBRs to unify / join together, so don't be surprised if you have a newly added border router and it hasn't joined with the others right away. I had this problem when I first added Google Nest WiFi pro access points into a network originally created with Apple TV TBRs. I was incredibly frustrated that I could not get these to join together. Waited a day, checked again, and it did it itself (really nice - just wish I knew it all happened automatically)

There are other Apple apps that do similar DNS-SD network browsing function (e.g., "flame" is another such app), and I'm sure there are similar apps on Android, but I don't have specific ones to mention

4 Likes