Is Hubitat a Professional or a DIY Grade System

I am looking at using Hubitat HE in a possible IoT business scenario. I’m not looking at getting rich, but I do want to only use “rock-solid” hardware and software so I’m not forever spending time making it work right. Has anyone here used Hubitat HE in their business to make money? Did it meet your expectations, or should I be looking elsewhere?

My main areas of interest or concern are:

1. Security
  2. Stability
  3. Open Source
  4. Ease of Use
  5. Stability
  6. Security
1 Like

@nole.iot

5 out of 6 aint bad...

Hubitat isn't open source (the community drivers and apps are though)

Define ease of use: Are you looking for remote control or automations?

Very stable. That said, you want to worry more about the devices you're connecting to it. You need to plan your system accordingly. Repeaters are your friend.

Security: (you said that twice) It's very secure and can even be disconnected from the internet if you want it to be and everything will still run. That said, most of us regardless of the system will reccomend you only use encryption on door locks and garage openers. Leave everything else unencrypted.

Now DIY or Professional use? I think it's can be used as a professional product, again as long as you plan accordingly. Don't use cloud based wifi devices, (regardless of your platform). You can directly integrate Lutron Caseta or Radio Ra 2 into it for switches. It's very expandable.

1 Like

It depends on your definition of the terms "security", "stability" and "ease of use". As @rlithgow1 pointed out, it is not open source.

If you are looking for the equivalent of a KNX system at a $150 price-point, you will be disappointed. That being said, there are at least a couple community members who have installed solutions that incorporate Hubitat for residential/commercial? clients. Tagging @erktrek @jtmpush18 for their thoughts.

3 Likes

Well if I'm being honest the construction of the hub itself is definitely "consumer" grade. However the fact that it is so powerful and flexible and therefore potentially more complicated makes it a DIY "prosumer" device. If going the consulting route then you would need to establish your own packaged bundle of hub(s)/devices/apps etc.. The setup is on you in terms of security and stability.. there are different options available.

Random thoughts based on my experiences:

• Have a baseline system that consists of hub(s)/"companion" server(s) [if any]/devices you have experience with along with a set of standard apps/automations/dashboard(s).
  • Install your system at your residence and/or workplace first and test test test - feedback from others you live/work with is invaluable in establishing a more grounded approach.
  • You can use your personal/work setup to demonstrate the HA possibilities of your "system". My den recessed lights and table lamps are all smartbulbs and I can use Alexa to change their color. While kind of useless in a practical sense it does look impressive when demoing it.
  • Be prepared for your clients not knowing what they want until they see things actually working. Make sure you factor that into your pricing.
  • Know when you are getting out of your depth. It is okay to take some risks but as a system gets larger it becomes more complicated and it's okay to defer to someone else. I sometimes do this for Security systems or very high end A/V depending upon the client's requirements.
  • For finding business, partner with local builders and interior designers. If you've ever had any work done and are still on speaking terms with that contractor/builder then contact them and see if they would be interested. I've found there is a need for consumer tech consulting in general in addition to home automation.
  • Make friends with an electrician and work with them if possible, feeding them business usually makes for a good relationship. If working with a builder then likely you would use their electrician. You have to be VERY careful with that though because there is usually a lot of suspicion and doubt. I generally bring them into the planning at the beginning and definitely play the "Lutron" card up front - Electricians LOVE Lutron.

Note about Lutron: It just works but you do have to know how to configure it so do research and have a working setup. Also it can be VERY expensive - $45 a switch for the Caseta stuff vs $25 for Z-wave and even more for RA2 or HomeWorks. I am not sure how compatible RA3 will be with HE but i know the staff is looking into it.

3 Likes

That certainly is a hard question to answer because any automation system (consumer or professional) will have its woes. Control4 is definitely a premier commercial based system and it can have as many or more issues than Hubitat. A lot has to do with how the ecosystem is designed, implemented and especially what endpoint devices are used. The hub itself and the ecosystem it provides is as good (or better) than anything out there IMHO. Comparing Hubitat's cost to professional ecosystems like Control4 is comparing opposites. For the money, you cant beat Hubitat for flexibility, capability, stability. On top of that the community is extraordinary and gives the Hubitat platform an unrivaled leg up.

1 Like

As I mentioned as long as you have a good baseline system to start with you can go very far in replicating the functionality of even higher end systems like Control 4 with possibly even greater flexibility and certainly better longevity.

The experience and troubleshooting required to set up such a system though is where a "Home Tech" consultant can really make a difference for some people.

4 Likes