Is correct to use abbreviations on this Forum or Community?

Hi all!
I would like to SUGGEST to everybody using this forum (users and staffs) avoid the use of abbreviations whenever be possible..

Why? because this forum is used for guys who are sometimes novices and they want to learn and the use of abbreviations are sometimes barriers for them. I'm facing sometimes those barriers too here.

A good idea could be to create kind of "abbreviations list" to use with the proper link for those who don't know the meaning of them.

If we really wants this forum become in an useful tool for Hubitat Elevation (HE) users then this can help to achieve that goal.

While I truly appreciate your concerns, it would be virtually impossible to avoid using abbreviations when communicating technical terminology. This is especially the case for me. I tend to do the majority of my replies on my cell phone (as I'm currently doing) and need to limit the amount of text I send for efficiency sake.

That being said, if there is an acronym you don't understand, simply ask. Our community is very understanding and happy to oblige these requests. I have had to ask my fair share of questions.

4 Likes

Would a glossary be helpful? I'm sure there's some "overloading" (same abbreviation standing for something different depending on context), but maybe it would be a good start. Not sure how many people would find it helpful--or find it at all in a forum search, for that matter. (Asking is probably easiest, as suggested.)

But I see you've already figured out a common one: HE = Hubitat Elevation, which I usually just call "Hubitat" unless I'm talking about SmartThings too and call it ST and feel the need to keep my abbreviations equal. :joy:

Some of the abbreviations are also Hubitat basic terms:

• HSM = Hubitat Safety Monitor
  • RM = Rule Machine

Well I just wanted to make a point for those who are "entering" to this world.
I already figured out many of the terms used here but based of my first steps on these forum it was sometime hard to understand your comments so, right now I'm not talking in a solution for me but other new colegues.

A glossary I think will be great and a good starting point. The important is to give some way to the new guys to check what means these terms we are using.

But it was a just a suggestion in order to make this forum even better, not a requisite :wink: .

I understand what you said but you are thinking on your needs not in the goal of this forum. Sorry but I used to be sincere on these matters. I loved to find answer to many of my question here when I started so I just want to give others a better and easy way to start avoiding the barriers I faced.

You will be amazed how many other you can find on different topics!.... I already know some but others still figuring out what they mean.... :smiley:

I actually cannot think of that many. Most are already mentioned in this thread. The rest are pretty universal, but if English is not your first language, it may be more challenging to decipher. I try not to overuse, but I also don't want to force the issue when people are spending their time to help for free.

LMAO = Laughing My A** Off
WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor
HAF = Husband Acceptance Factor
YMMV = You Mileage May Vary
LAN = Local Area Network
WAN = Wide Area Network
IP = Internet Protocol

1 Like

IMHO = in my humble opinion

1 Like

TL;DR

Too long. Didn’t read.

1 Like

Understood. Unfortunately acronyms and technology go hand in hand. It is practically unavoidable. I like your suggestion about a glossary to assist those just getting a feet wet. I recommend you create another thread with a title along those lines. "Common Tech Abbreviations" or something similar. Since you would be the OP (original poster) you could edit/update the first post as others add their replies or questions below.

Maybe even create a Wiki post that the community can edit. Just suggestions.

@bobbyD are we able to create a Wiki on this subject.

1 Like

@bobbyD, nevermind...I figured it out.
@aguileramekin, I created a Wiki. Feel free to edit and update as needed.

Common Acronyms and Abbreviations

3 Likes

Truly appreciate this stephack!!!! Thanks a lot...

1 Like

LMAO, WAF, HAF, YMMV were unknow for me ..... I guess due the lenguage...
But you know.... not from today :wink: Thanks a lot!
I will try to update the Wiki stephack created everytime I found a new term.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

3 Likes

Added Private Boolean since I just used it in a post. :slight_smile: Nicely done!!!

1 Like