iRule to Hubitat communication

I was hoping I might find someone who is familiar with iRule that could give me a hand. I use iRule for controlling things directly via ip/serial in my home theater with a 7 inch android tablet. I want to be able to send commands from iRule to hubitat to control lights mainly. I think HTTP is probably the way to go, but I honestly haven't got a clue where to begin.

I have a Lutron caseta system and a couple of generic zigbee lights.

I am also open to the idea of just creating a dashboard and maybe fazing my iRule control out, but I would like to continue using my Global Cache Ip to Serial devices because of the better control over things like my Blu-Ray player and Denon Reciever.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to start learning on any of this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

You could possibly use the Maker API app to accomplish that.

1 Like

There are a lot of tutorial videos at the iRule website that should get you going. The Lutron one should take care of your lights and nothing needed from Hubitat. Integrating all kinds of automations from iRule into Hubitat could be very difficult. Getting iRule to control Hubitat devices via the Maker API seems doable. Ask your self - 'Who controls the automation?' and 'Who controls the devices?' or Who is in charge of what? Until you know the answers it's going to be difficult to know how hard the task will be.

I'm not a iRule person and don't want to be so I can't help. Interesting device but not for me.

1 Like

@ccoupe makes a very good point. What do you want to be your source of truth and control for which items. The more systems you glue together, the more difficult it can be to manage, the more likely it is to be potentially fragile, and more challenging to troubleshoot.

A couple of parallel questions to ask is how much time are you willing to invest on a regular basis to manage all of the systems and interfaces, and how willing is your household to put up with its idiosyncrasies while you get it working “right”?

I’m as bad as the next person about not considering these questions, and dicing right in. Fortunately my wife is usually very patient with my “hobby”. Still these are things to think about, and I do. That is one reason I am not using Node Red among others. Too many things, too much time, and too fragile of a total system. For those of you who read this and are Node Red aficionados, I am not dissing NR. I just don’t have the time for it. It just adds more complexity.

Well I had better be quiet now before I upset the entire community. Good luck with your goals for iRule. Let us know if you have any other questions we can’t answer. :smile:

I'll have to look into the Lutron control widget on iRule again. I have tried once already, but I think I figured out that it only works with RadioRa2 and not Caseta. Honestly I want to keep my Hubitat as the center of everything control wise. I just want to be able to make the lights dim up or down when I stop or start a movie. I'll have to take a look at the maker Api as well.

If it works with Ra2 it should work with Caseta (you need the pro bridge) as the telnet commands are the same for either.

I finally go it figured out! For the longest time I thought that the "login" was my email and the "password" was the password I set up in the app. It turns out the TelNet client for the Lutron Pro Bridge is actually expecting the "login" to be "lutron" (in all lowercase) and the "password" to be "integration". Once I set that up in the gateway on iRule its finally working! It only took me 5 years to figure it out! Thank you to everyone helping and getting me to look back into the Lutron integration within iRule! I knew it had to be something simple!

I also had to make sure port was set to 23 and using TCP within the gateway.

Lutron Integration TelNet, this what finally helped me, maybe this will help someone in the future!

2 Likes