Iris v2 motion sensor - mounting?

So I’m curious how others are mounting their Iris v2 motion sensors on their walls, the Velcro isn’t reliable and the one right inside my front door keeps falling off. I’m curious if anyone has 3D printed a wall hanger or anything that mounts to drywall via screws to make it secure and fall proof. Pictures please if so. Thank you.

I have started using 3M Command Strips for my wall and ceiling mounted sensors. I haven't had one fall off yet.

I am continually unimpressed at the mounting methods that the manufacturers of these devices come up with.

2 Likes

I have been using command strips. I have on hanging in my kitchen for about 2 years.

Agreed with unimpressed. I may have to look into those strips. But am worried they may take paint off the walls. Any issue with that?

Not yet . . . but a valid concern.

1 Like

If I leave them on for more than about a year or so, I've noticed them taking the paint with sometimes. I keep telling myself I'll periodically replace the strips to avoid this potential problem, but so far I haven't. I'm less concerned now that I own my house and can fix my own walls if needed, but I could really tell in the house I lived in for five years before. (Make sure you follow the removal instructions and don't just try to pull them off, a common mistake.)

Beyond just a command strip, I also got some ball and socket mounts 3D printed to better angle some of them them a bit, at the expense of making them a stick out a bit farther. That was so long ago I can't remember what template I used, but I'm pretty someone posted it on here a while back.

I use some strong mounting tapes.

The key I find to take them off without it removing paint or minimizing paint ripping off is by twisting them off.

I had good results on interior walls using the tiny pre-cut mounting strips that came in the Iris package (I think they are some version of 3M adhesive but thinner than the double sided stuff I usually see in stores). They are shaped to exactly fit the mounting bevels. But unless you apply pressure for a full 30 sec or so when attaching, they will fall off. Don't know the physics behind this but that step seems mandatory.

I just removed one (that had been up for the 16 month duration of its battery) when doing some painting and by slightly twisting/teasing it off (as @mik3 noted) it came off cleanly... and was re-useable as is (key to re-use is to again firmly press on it for about 30 sec when reattaching).

I use these, it will mark up the wall.

1 Like

The double-sided tape that SmartThings uses (seems to be very similar to the 3M tape used for automotive trim) definitely will pull the paint off.

1 Like

I've used the heavy duty gray 3m double sided tape, it sticks like crazy. A healthy dose of heat with a sliding/shear force rather than pulling has gotten a couple off cleanly. Pulling them, especially cold, results in half the wall coming off with them.

1 Like

Thank you, this is what I was looking for!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.